Plan B

Heading out to Oswego for kings next week but usually have a plan B if we get blown off. We usually hit Cayuga but I figured this yr to see what other options would be out there. Assuming the wind is NW or N what would be the best finger lakes to hit coming from Oswego? I'd rather not drive to the bottom of a lake to launch to keep out of wind. We have launched out of Deans when blown off from the NW wind and had Cayuga get sloppy once when the wind decided to veer Northrly for a while, lol. Looking at Seneca as an alternative (or other) since it looks like a launch at the north end. Figure with NW wind you could sneak over to the west side and fish down the lake? Not sure which is why I'm looking for some local advice.

Thanks in advance,

Spike

Seneca gets rougher than cayuga because its strait.  If you have gotten blown off the north end of the lake with a north wind, i would suggest Owasco as an alternative.  Its a nice little lake, and you can cover the whole thing in one day.  Not as big so it doesnt get as rough.  The launch at the north end in auburn is on the outlet with current, i would suggest launching at the south end (south shore marina) if you have a decent sized boat.  The lake is only about 10 miles long so its not that much further of a drive.  Take 34 to auburn and 38 down the lake. 

Spike-

Looking pretty good weather wise "right now" for Lake O this weekend..my fingers, toes and even eyeballs are crossed that it stays that way

Spike-

Looking pretty good weather wise "right now" for Lake O this weekend..my fingers, toes and even eyeballs are crossed that it stays that way

Yes it does look good for the weekend. I'll be up mid day Sunday and fishing the week so I need a back up just in case.

If you see a 18 Lund Sport angler from NH at Wrights stop by to say hi. We are usually out early and in late but since we arrive mid day Sunday maybe our paths will cross.

Spike

Great idea on a Plan B Capt.....I'm too green to experience an over-blown day on lake-O.....yet, I'm sure it's just a timing issue

Hoping that day is not soon

I'll be pulling out heading back to NH when you arrive so we'll warm them up for ya :lol:

Good to know.

Thanks for warming them up for us Willy-c. We have been pretty lucky thru the yrs considering blow off's. We have met people who were out all week and only gotten out once before. Never had that happen and hope it doesn't ever happen, but if it's too rough it is always good to have a plan B, unless you want to sit in a bar. Since my bar sitting days are behind me and I'm there to fish then my plan B is to find an alternate lake.LOL. Thought about Onieda for eyes but would like to only bring certain rods and reels too much stuff it becomes a hassle and reeling in smaller fish on king gear isn't too apealing so we head to Cayuga for lakers, landlocks and the other trouts. Bringing Ugly stick light rods this yr so the switch won't be so bad as far as rod class goes. hope it doesn't hurt us boat side handling kings, lol. Should be fun either way.

Look for us going the other way on the highway, lol.

Spike

Frogger is right... Seneca would be my first choice because it  seems to be the most active lake fishing wise around here this season. With anything out of the N, NW, or W it is fishable below 20 mph winds from those directions along the west side with some protection. The only time you don't want to be launching or fishing at the north end otherwise is with a stiff S, SE, or SW wind (irrelevant because you'd probably still be able to be fishing Lake O in that case) or a severe east wind (which seldom happens at this time of year on Seneca). Best of luck on the kings!