Keuka Lake

Has anybody had any success fishing for browns, rainbows or salmon on keuka? I've been fishing there for a long time and can only seem to catch lakers no matter what I try. I fish mostly between bluff point/marlena point area. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There is an over-abundance of lake trout in Keuka lake right now.  They have basically taken over the lake, which is why you haven't caught any browns, rainbows, or salmon yet.  I have heard reports of a few people catching some bows and browns this year, but they are few and far between!  Some of the other guys on here may be able to help you out more with trying to target those species on Keuka such as speed, depth, and location.  My suggestion is that if you want to catch a mixed bag, try Seneca.

Thanks, yeah I want to fish Seneca but currently my boat is docked at Keuka. Was wondering if anyone had any insight into catching other than lakers there. I agree they do seem to have taken over.

Guppy is right about the lakers taking over out there and a couple things come to mind in terms of catching browns landlocks and rainbows;

1. The Hammondsport end and the Branchport arm used to be very good night fishing places for browns and rainbows if you are trolling you might want to try very early in the AM in those areas such as just before daylight.

2. Live bait (if you can get sawbellies) try the night fishing on a calm night either slowly drifting or anchored with the sawbellies on a set up like that used in still fishing in 70-100ft of water with a lantern or light hung over the side to call bugs and the bait will come up for them with the fish often following them to the spot. Try in closer if no takers or the lakers are there.

3. Big browns, landlocks and rainbows can compete with the large lakers in close (where small ones might be eaten) so in the very early AM around daylight and shortly thereafter they can sometimes be found near docks and other structure in the shallows well out of their preferred temperature range. Trolling planer boards near shore along the shorelines similar to what is done in the Spring can be productive (although you may get into the bass as well depending on your lure selection etc. :) Also trying the near shore areas out from the motel at Hammondsport or towards the end of the Branchport arm in late evening or early morning might do something. The lakers for the most part will be in deeper water this time of the year while browns especially can tolerate much warmer water temps so you can fish them shallower. You might also be able to take advantage of the lakers love for the bottom by having your lines up off there where the roaming browns and rainbows will get a better chance. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking I need to be in closer to Hammondsport. I've fished with sawbellies and trolling. Haven't done night fishing in many years. Is there a different method to hook the sawbellies for browns and bows? I do the English hook under the skin. I have been told that's not a good way to catch them because they feed differently than lakers. Also do you have any ideas of particular lures/spoon combos? I've tried a bunch of spoons and flasher/fly combos.

As far as the night fishing goes I was trying to suggest the easiest method to use  but we used to have specific rigs something like mini-thermocline rigs with 3 short leaders (say 6 ft.) on them spaced on bead chains about 15 ft apart with a sinker at the bottom and drift with it...but you had to choose your night carefully for it (very calm still nights). Nothing like falling asleep while anchored hearing the drag going out with a big rainbow or brown on the other end....really got the heart thumping :)  As far as  hooking the live bait. We did them through the skin (carefully not deep or near the spine) near the head side of the dorsal with the double hooks pointed away from the head. With lakers  in usual still fishing you wait for them to turn the bait around in their mouth normally (which is why you don't pull on them during the initial run), but with browns, rainbows and landlocks they usually really slam it right from the start at the head area mostly so they have the hook already in their mouth right from the start.

As far as lures go: stickbaits maybe blue or black jointed J-9 Rapala (but bass like blue ones too) Renegade, or possibly a Yozuri. I'd  stay away from the perch finish stuff as the Pickerel love them if you are in close. Spoons - Small Stingers or HoneyBees, Small to medium Suttons (44, 22, 5, 8,11, 31, 41) the small version Evil Eyes in black or silver with orange stripe, I'd stay away from the larger spoons for them there (e.g. NK28's or Mags etc.) and use faster trolling speeds this time of year 2.5-3.0. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Mostly I have been trying the same type of set up as I always use just trying to fish in more shallow water, like 50-70 ft.

I have tried fishing sawbellies. I've also tried using sticks, small and medium stingers and some 8" flasher with flies. All in the shallow waters.

I think I may get hits on the sawbellies but then they let go. With Lakers I always leave the rod alone until I know they're hooked.

Ok , I run spoons .......main line is 30# test Ande because of fleas in Seneca...... then a barrel swivel that can go thru the rod eyes and thru the prowel on the reel......... 10# Seagar florocarbon leader material 30' or better....... good ballbearing coastlock snap........spoon.............. I put down temp and speed at the ball check for 55* ....park that rigger there one ten above and one ten below...... most of my browns,bows and landlocks are taken in 55* water or above some time 70* water is the ticket...............  just saying  now but in 2005 I check my reports and I boated in early August over 150 lakers out of Seneca and 0 bows , 0 browns , 0 landlocks ........ I was so zoned in on lakers I was ALWAYS fishing below the others............so if you go to a brown , rainbow program don't get up-set with being skunked more often than you ever would now !!!!......but after it comes togather for you those HI jumpers and bulldogs runs will get you hooked on them........I rather go out and hook-up with two or 3 brown,bow or landlocks than get into 10 lakers...... but I'm talkin spoons now and hardware for lakers...........

25' to 30' off the back for me would be for water over here deeper that 50' .......I run 45' to 75' back most of the time.........

Edited by ERABBIT

Ed's setup is the nuts for Seneca and it certainly is worth a try on Keuka and I will myself next time there. The last two times on Keuka were only good for a few small lakers and I don't think we marked more than five or six fish in both trips combined. The picture is radically different than Seneca...given that was a few weeks ago but I haven't heard anyone doing well on Keuka for trout other than jigging for lakers for quite awhile. The lake seems quite different than a few years ago too fish-wise but it always has been very different in terms of the bottom structure and bottom composition, and in fact is something like three different lakes all in one with each branch having a very different profile. For years it was the primary domain of still fishermen, night fishing, and copper jerkers for that reason and usually early AM and evening into night time for the trout other than fishing for lakers out deep in the 'hole" out from the State Park, the bluffs area, and out from Marlena Point . Day time has usually been the main providence of bassers and perch fishermen for many years. I like trying different stuff now days and screwing around with setups and different tackle etc. but if I had to depend on catching browns, rainbows, or landlocks for dinner  I think I'd return to the old methods of the past which weren't nearly as much fun but worked to put those fellas in the boat. Keuka is a very different "animal" than either Seneca, Cayuga, or Owasco from a consistency of fishing standpoint and in my view it is a harder lake to successfully fish for those trout species other than lakers; especially trolling.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks. I appreciate all the input. I'll continue to experiment around with some suggested set ups. I think the best take away is that I need to head on over to Seneca eventually to find what I'm looking for.

It has been a very good year for Seneca indeed...hopefully you hit a good day...don't get disappointed though if the double digit browns don't start jumping in your boat like they do ERABBITS!!! :lol:  Some days she does not like to give them up easily.   Best of luck Jitterbug.

around the state boat launch on the branchport side a big streamer fly on a sinking line, trolled, or casted and worked with ocasional fast pulses has always got browns. landlocks,and a few bows. best just before sunrise, and at dusk. rappeles cast or trolled 20 ft down over 70-50ft picked up browns. I get land locks right in the propwash across the lake before chinzy point.

It is actually spelled Chidsey Point. It is on the Branchport arm of the lake southwest on a diagonal across the lake from Keuka Lake State Park.

sk8man is right about the spelling, The underground stream comes in just south of it. it is the deepest spot in the lake. I cant remember the name of the lodge, restaurant that use to be above it. The sand kept moving so much no one could get an accurate depth, even with old model t engine blocks. there are a couple of cold upwellings just north of there about 70ft deep, and in front of the old red cottage that always did hold landlocks and some bows. sutton # 5 in the propwash still works there.

I too have been on the hunt for others....besides the Lakers. They are few, for sure. I did pull a wonderful bow out from the eastern branch near Morgan's last year. Came as a surprise on a honey bee spoon. The shallow waters with planner boards work well this time of years. And, seems the flees have died down from keuka, for some reason currently.

Just had a NEW bloom on Seneca the othe day nasty worst I ran into this year some weeds there also so it was sticking to my flea-flicker line.....with a fish ON ..... over on the west side about a mile or so north of Long Point !!!!!