Salmon

Good garden fertilizers. A salt water salmon Is the only good tasting fish.

People say that fresh water fish are delicious. If you had fish from salt vs fresh prepared on the same dish . You would select the salt over fresh. I compared this a number of times with friends not telling them which was which

Everyone picked the salt water salmon and would not finish the fresh water fish.

Good garden fertilizers. A salt water salmon Is the only good tasting fish.

People say that fresh water fish are delicious. If you had fish from salt vs fresh prepared on the same dish . You would select the salt over fresh. I compared this a number of times with friends not telling them which was which

Everyone picked the salt water salmon and would not finish the fresh water fish.

Check out Muskie's post ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Only question I got, and this is because my guests eating the lake salmon have noted and asked ..."Why is the salmon meat you grilled white?"

Meaning they have had restraunt salmon that apparently looks like what I have seen..red/orange or pink. So I have this standard answer..."I don't know, maybe the suppliers use some color enhancing ingredients, like maybe in some beef."

After all mine is fresh, unenhanced (if that is a word), and cooked in a couple different favorite ways. The other from the store/restraunt comes from maybe...Alaska, BC, Pacific Ocean it had 7000 miles on it, several loading docks, refrigeration, and wrapped fresh or frozen. It gets cooked in the restraunt and it is still a pinkish orange color after cooked. So what does it mean really? Anybody have a clue? So far my guests take my explanation and run with it...sounds good to them as well as the empty plates are attest to either my cooking or the taste of the salmon...which is a puzzling "white" after cooked.

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Only question I got, and this is because my guests eating the lake salmon have noted and asked ..."Why is the salmon meat you grilled white?"

Meaning they have had restraunt salmon that apparently looks like what I have seen..red/orange or pink. So I have this standard answer..."I don't know, maybe the suppliers use some color enhancing ingredients, like maybe in some beef."

After all mine is fresh, unenhanced (if that is a word), and cooked in a couple different favorite ways. The other from the store/restraunt comes from maybe...Alaska, BC, Pacific Ocean it had 7000 miles on it, several loading docks, refrigeration, and wrapped fresh or frozen. It gets cooked in the restraunt and it is still a pinkish orange color after cooked. So what does it mean really? Anybody have a clue? So far my guests take my explanation and run with it...sounds good to them as well as the empty plates are attest to either my cooking or the taste of the salmon...which is a puzzling "white" after cooked.

Mark

Has to do with their diet. Krill I think is what gives them their color. Also, red dye is used in the supermarket on farm raised salmon if you look at ingredients.

• Like 1

Has to do with their diet. Krill I think is what gives them their color. Also, red dye is used in the supermarket on farm raised salmon if you look at ingredients.

Ah haaa! I will have to read that labelling....farm raised! And dye..thanks Matt, I was pretty sure that food coloring would NOT change color when cooked. I have had some that are a little pink after cooked but not too colorful like the salmon from a restaurant. I find both ocean and lake kings to be comparative in texture but a slight difference in flavor, but it depends largely on how it is prepared. Butter makes everything better!...LOL

Mark

Edited by skipper19

• 1 year later...

Farm raised salmon is color enhanced through feed. Shrimp shell and crab shell is ground and added to feed to emulate their natural diet. Thats what gives them the orange flesh and why wild salmon from Alaska are Chevy orange in color. The salmon from the lake eat fish and that is why there flesh is white. They are on fact the same species of a pacific saltwater chinook and coho as Alaska. One more fact is farm raised salmon are actually highest in omega fat, more than wild so eat up! Salmon won't kill you mcdonalds will. Eat fish and love long!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United