Distance behind ball?

That is a very good question.... but it very much depends on what you are running and what you are trying to catch, what water you are on, and what equipment you are referring to  for starters...seriously....

The currents down there are pretty nasty at times. Longer leads are affected by currents more. With spin docs I usually set 8-15 ft. Spoons 2-15 ft. Meat rigs I send back farther to get a nice slow roll. Salmon and steelies are actually attracted to all that commotion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6-12 ft. fr F/F and Spin Docs and 15-50 for spoons/sticks usually - Deeper short  -Higher longer - sliders 7-8 ft. for downriggers  If not successful...distance changes made may be drastically different until a connection is made along with changes - and then changes in lures and speeds

Edited by Sk8man

Regarding the closeness to the ball....just a hunch but I think the fact that it can be a couple feet from the ball suggests that they see it as one unit with whatever you are presenting.....at longer distances they may see the ball and the attractor as separate objects and think that the attractor is "chasing" the ball and that the lure is something smaller that may be vulnerable in some way. ....just armchair analysis not scientific fact.

Used to do a lot of walleye fishing on the big E and we always used long leads on them. 50 or 100 ft from the ball bc they were more spooky and there is less current to deal with. Until some old timer up here told us about short leads we had no idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Generally speaking with a spin doctor on the most action setting, how big of a loop will it make? I am concerned it will get into the other rigger line with short leads

Sent from my thinking chair...

there are some pretty cool dr videos of spin doctors..I am planning on running one with the tighter loop and one with the wider loop to start out. whichever one produces, will change the other to match.

Generally speaking with a spin doctor on the most action setting, how big of a loop will it make? I am concerned it will get into the other rigger line with short leads

actually it's just he opposite, the rotation is tighter on a short lead, the loop gets bigger the longer the stretch behind the ball.

Tim

actually it's just he opposite, the rotation is tighter on a short lead, the loop gets bigger the longer the stretch behind the ball.

Tim

Thanks Tim I get that but I was wondering if anyone knew the size of loop in relation to the length of the leader. I guess I didn't really word it right.