Distance behind ball?

Capt. Samia .....I think had some underwater footage of flashers rotating and noted the opposite of what is logical.  I believe he noted the tighter to the ball the flasher was, the greater the rotation.  Don't know how you could measure the rotation only observation.

Capt. Samia .....I think had some underwater footage of flashers rotating and noted the opposite of what is logical. I believe he noted the tighter to the ball the flasher was, the greater the rotation. Don't know how you could measure the rotation only observation.

I was thinking that resistance of the line in the water might tie into the size of rotations.

Sent from my thinking chair...

New to this, so take my input for what it is....

I run my Spin Dr. about 6-8' away from the ball. The thinking goes like this:

Closer to the ball, the period (where the Dr reaches the top of the "loop") of the spin should be shorter, and the rotation quicker. This should also give a tighter radius to the circle it traces (I'm guessing a 2-4 foot circle).

Further away from the ball, the Dr. takes a longer time to trace a circle (longer period), the rotation is slower, but the radius of the loop it makes could be huge. (Again, guessing, perhaps 6-8 feet or larger?

Not knowing a darn thing about how fish trigger, I would have to lean towards a tighter, faster spin to keep their attention. If they have to spend extra energy to

follow a big wide circle, is it worth it to them?

I'm following this one closely....I've already lengthened the leash on my cheated spoons.....

Edited by JimB

I have only been running a 3' leader on my cheated spoons. I've seen a few posts about how much distance, and 3' just seems to short... most run them 5-8'?

Since I have yet to catch a thing on my cheated spoons, I'm willing to try something new!