New Invasive speices......?

Gentleman/Ladies,

On Monday evening I caught and landed a steelhead.... that was not healthy. The back's of it's gills were covered with, after some research.......sea lice. It was caught out of 44 deg. water down 100' and fought like a 3lb. Lake Trout. With it's poor health it was sent back quickly without photo's.

Small whitish parasitic larva on the inside off it's gill's post-140001-0-09561500-1376441782_thumb.jpg 

has anyone else caught a fish with these yet ????

Hind is 20/20 I should have bagged it and sent it to the DEC for inspection to prove me wrong. I know what I saw

So I'm not alone, what now ??? These little things are going to kill how many fish before something is done about it. I was truly hoping this was an isolated incident. Just great !!!

Yeah they have been a problem in aquaculture circles for a few years now, especially with issues of farm raised salmon getting infected with them and then getting into wild stocks. Part of on of the largest biomass citizens on the planet....copepods. Bugs. Like shrimp and lobster.....and spiders and flies. I'm not sure but I think they call fleas (the ones that get ganged on your trolling line) sea lice in lake Michigan. Not the same bugs, but.....what's in a name...Anyone out there vouch for that?

Edited by panfisher

I see them on sea run Atlantic salmon. When u see them it means that they just came in from the ocean and have been in the river less than 24 hours. Generally the sea lice can't survive in fresh water and fall off and die. Very interesting that they can transition to fresh water. Most of the infestations have come from Atlantic salmon farming in net pens. Its time to move the aquaculture of salmon on land. Many studies show the pen farming is harming native stocks around the world.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are Gill Lice or Flea's and they are in the Great lakes as well as the Oceans. They aren't the same as the sea lice you see stuck to the skin of a sea run fish. I was fishing the Sandy River in the Aluetian Islands in South West Alaska and we caught some dime bright Bering Sea Steelhead that had Gill fleas. And they do harm the fish with regards to growth rates....fish we saw were much slimmer, and also greatly reduced their energy....because obviously they are clogging their breathing. I've caught Steelhead in Ontario, Michigan, and Huron with them as well. DEC and MNR are aware of them, and from what I understand here to stay and pretty much impossible to get rid of.