Lowrance HDS 7 Junk or what?

fishless

I picked up a used one for my boat. radar and all worked great till yesterday now all i have is the blue Lowrance screen. Did the master reset and still the same.

Anyone have this problem? can you get these things fixed?

Thanks Jim

Lowrance does not service Generation 1  units. They will offer you a new Generation II unit for a reduced price. If your's is a Generation II unit, it can be repaired.

Lowrance has always taken the planned obsolescence concept to the extreme.

Lowrance has always taken the planned obsolescence concept to the extreme.

So right Tim. That's why I run a Furuno sonar with a airmar ducer. I should have been smart enough to steer clear of this outfit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Gen 1 unit that has been through hell and back been frozen a couple times, hailed on, rained on countless times and even power washed and it works fine. The VERY early model Gen 1 units had water intrusion issues with bad seals they got it corrected. Gen 2 units have been good with no known issues. 

Okay, you all have my attention.  I am getting ready to purchase either the Lowrance HDS7 Gen II touch screen or the Garmin 741xs.   My fishing in mostly in the Chesapeake Bay and Lakes Ontario and Erie.  Don't know which offers the best capability for my fishing or which will be the most reliable.   CHIRP or Downscan?

From what I'm reading, it seems the debate between Lowrance v. Garmin is like the Ford-Chevy debate -- depends on what you have used in the past. :thinking:

Any thoughts or recommendations on which way to go would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance-