Crossing into Canadian waters

Is there any protocols when crossing into Canadian waters. I read some old posts on a different forum the mentioned " Calling Inward". Is this something I would have to do?  If so does anyone know the number..? I apologize but I don't want to get my boat seized for not knowing the rules... thanks in advance...

Check with the local customs office when you get there.  I was in Michigan (St. Clair River) last month, and they told me that as long as I didn't tie up (including to another boat) I did not have to call ahead.  Just make sure you have your boat registration, canadian fishing license, and passport with you.  They were very nice about it.

Canada customs number is 888-226-7277. As I understand as long as you don't anchor or go to shore you can report in by phone. US customs 888-523-2628. You will need names, birthdays, and perhaps passport numbers for all in the boat as well as boat registration numbers.

1-888-CAN-PASS. Call this # just before or as you enter Canadian waters. They will ask you a bunch of border type questions, including your boat #, passenger names and B dates, weather you have alcohol (illegal in Canada) firearns, weapons, etc. They will give you a confirmation # you will need if you are stopped by Canadian authorities. If you go over another day, it will go a little faster because they will already have your information from before. If you are just traveling through Canadian waters, without stopping, to get to another location in US waters you don't have to call in.

Passport is not needed at this time. Also you don't have to check back in with US Customs if you did not land (or anchor) or connect with another boat in Canadin waters. The US border patrol  is currently considering requiring vessels to check in at a video phone (which may not be conveniently located) when returning from Canadian waters. Supposedly having a Nexus card ($50 and good for 5 years) will allow you to call in. I don't think it will come up for discussion like state fishing and hunting regulations. It may be totally up to the discression of Homeland Security.

So it may become more expensive and inconvenient to fish in Canadian waters.

You will need:

1)Canadian outdoor card

2) Canadian fishing lisense

3)Nexus card (unless there is a convenientty located video phone which still might not be very convenient)

You will have to go through the motions of getting these things. Then you will have to report when you enter Canadian waters and report back into US when returning. Everyone on the boat will have to have these things. It may not be worth the expense and agrivation unless you intend to fish Canadian waters on a regular basis.

Here is the official response from the Canada Border Services Agency.. 

All recreational boaters are required to present themselves upon their arrival in Canada as per the Customs Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This includes all foreign boaters entering Canada, as well as private boaters who depart Canada, enter foreign waters, and subsequently return to Canada. This obligation exists regardless of their activities while outside of Canada or their planned activities while in Canada. Arrival in Canada occurs when the pleasure craft crosses the international boundary into Canadian waters.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has revised its reporting requirements for boaters. Please view the following Web page for the most up to date information:

Upon entering Canadian waters private boaters who qualify can present themselves to the CBSA by calling the Telephone Reporting Centre (TRC) at 1-888-226-7277. As noted above all other private boaters, including vessels carrying foreign nationals other than United States (U.S.) citizens or U.S. permanent residents, must proceed directly to a designated marine telephone reporting site and place a call to the TRC in order to obtain CBSA clearance.

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0†after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

If you use your VHF Radio in Canadian Waters you will need a Radio Sation License.If you anchor in Canadian Waters  or tie up on Canadian shore your Flare Gun becomes a Firearm and you could be arrested for having it.

Vessels For Hire must report going into Canadian Waters and to U.S. Customs when returning back to U.S. Waters, even when passing through.Everyone onboard must have a passport or enhanced drivers license as well.Ask your clients if they have had a DWI in the past before going into Canadian Waters,they have now been taking persons from the boat who have DWI record and deporting them by land back to the U.S..Then those persons must apply for Reabilitation from the Queen and get a visa to enter Canadian Waters again.

I can tell you first hand they DO enforce the DWI game, we went to Canada fishing for a week and my uncle had a DWI back 15 years ago and they made him buy a (or return to the USA) 7 day visa which cost $200.00 and he had to be back at customs at a certain time, and the visa cost was not refundable, just another gimmick for those Bastards to get in your pocket. After that episode and a lot of other things they did to us I will never step foot in that country again. Been going to Canada for over 20 years and that trip was my last.

I forgot to mention that we went on a cruse around the thousand Islands on Saturday and crossed into Canadian waters and the captain was telling us what you have go threw, it sounded like it wasn't worth it if you didn't have all your ducks in a row, they made it sound like the fines and confiscation of your boat and take you to their customs where you will go through a vigorous one on one talk with  a Canadian border patrol officer, and if you pass you get to walk back to the good ol USA. He made it sound that it isn't worth it and I agree.

Boy,......the things that have gone down and the ramifications of the actions of a few religious (supposedly) zealots......9/11....Used to be going back and forth across borders, for example, was actually a fun thing. Now it's become a reason for fear, loathing, hassles and misstrust for many.....Would be great to work towards getting back to some of that "Canadians are just like us" days. :thinking: ......just one thought....

Screw Them! Eh?

That's really what I wanted to say, but there are Canadians on this board and they are humans also, so they have feelings, and it's not their fault, they can't help what their government does.

They should be partnering with recreational boaters and anglers to be their eyes to report suspicious activities. Instead they are alienating those who are no threat to security. US Homeland Security is talking about instituting new border regulations that will complicate things even further. I wonder if citizens and  local, county and state governments will even have a say in what they decide to do. I would like to think so but it seems we are loosing our voice and rights all the time.

Unfortunately, it's America's Homeland security that started all the B/S. You don't need a passport to get into Canada, but you need one to return to the states. The US wanted to play hard a**, and Canada is returning the favor. US border agents look like the Gestapo! Our southern border is wide open with illegals walking in everyday, and we are worried about our neighbor Canada? I don't like some of the issues Canada is enforcing now, but we only have ourselves to blame.

• Hey guys - It's just an imaginary line - put there to collect money - I live 10 minutes from the border - we cross all the time - I have more affiliation with my western N.Y.  brothers than our capital in Ottawa. It's all about fear and maintaining budgets based on fear, to the border security industry (which is huge dollars in both countries)They should scrap the u.s./canada border and put the resources to the transoceanic borders. So, come on in - just tell em I invited ya - your all welcome - just bring your own beer and ---- can ya bring me a case -- I'll pay ya back! :lol:

Nice sentiments waller. And thanx. You know, you r spot on, I think, about making the money on fear by both sides. I had not thought of this but it does make sense. But wait a minute.....We always used to make the trip to Canada, most often St. Catherines, to stock up on the likes of Labatts Extra Stock, REAL Molsons Golden Ale, Porter Ale, and a variety of other tasty brews from your side from the Brewers Retails. While many of the good U.S. beers seemed to be homogenizing and being bought out, cheapened with inferior ingredients to save money, etc. etc. Now all the rage is micro breweries here where everybody seems to think that throwing berries, crazy grains and WAY too much hops (gag) into the recipe is what really good beer is.  :puke:  Childish taste buds.... :lol: .....IMHO :beer: