Copper rod and reel combos

Fish erie and ontario. I am going to buy two copper setups. I fish ontario in may and late August, erie for walleye the rest of the year. I want two copper setups to run. I think I am going to get 2 300 coppers. Any suggestions on rod and reels? Sick of running 4 oz of wieght on a ten color.

Just my .02$

A 300 & 400 would get you 60 & 80 ft down. A 400 with some added weight like dive bombs will get you the depth you need this time of year if your targeting kings. 500 & 600 CP set ups will set you back some $$ ...but being versitle helps. I have been running a 500 & a 400 with 4oz dive bomb  the last few weeks & taking plenty of kings. but temp is down deeper. back in july when temp was higher a 300 & 400 was the ticket...

many variables!

Good luck!

I like my 300 in 45 lb and the 600 in 30 lb. The 600 can be let out any length and sinks 18 feet every 100 out. The 300 I run knot at the water line for 60 to 65 down depending on speed an lure type.

The advantage of different tests is having both coppers running at once and they are on different planes to help eliminate tangled equipment. I count passes of the line guide for the 600 out to shorter lengths.

Two coppers cover everything that way for me down to 100 feet.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the input. Basically I am catching most walleye 80 ft down right now and only can get most on dipsey and riggers and when we salmon fish I would like to run two riggers, 2 coppers, 2 dipsey's. My standard walleye setup from July on is 4 dipsey 2 10 color and and two down riggers. I want to fish 80 ft deep. I think I might consider two 45lb 400 coppers?

Can you use copper on planar boards?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, big boards best and otters

Thanks for the input. Basically I am catching most walleye 80 ft down right now and only can get most on dipsey and riggers and when we salmon fish I would like to run two riggers, 2 coppers, 2 dipsey's. My standard walleye setup from July on is 4 dipsey 2 10 color and and two down riggers. I want to fish 80 ft deep. I think I might consider two 45lb 400 coppers?

I would suggest not pinning down a specific depth to fish for all things. Yes you can fish 80 feet with 400 copper, but someday those fish may be deeper and then neither will hit the mark. Just my opinion, but the 400 in 45 and 600 in 30 will cover it all to 100 ft. on two different planes running at once. Now you have flexibility and if you want both to run at once at 80 let the 30 lb out 450. Now you have 2 coppers running different planes and separation but same depth.

Consider different times of year when 80 feet is not the presentation depth. You will have less options in your equipment with two 400 setups.

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app