Dipsy Diver Help

Hello all,

Great forum here so much useful info for the novice great lake fisherman like myself. The question I have is concerning dipsy divers. I have read dipsy out at 250 or 190 or some other number. I can only assume I am going to need to be at 100 foot or deeper this week at the lake based on water temps. I have 1 #0 dipsy and 2 #1 dipsy's and the chart stops at setting 0 with ring 150 feet out to achieve just 70 feet deep. Is there a calculation past 150 feet out that you guys use? Are you all using Magnum Dipsy's. Please weigh in. 

I have found that a 2.8 ratio with mag dipsys is a little closer to where you are.  So if you want to be down a 100 ft plan on sending a mag dipsy out about 300ft or so.  If your using mono you will have a tough time getting it that deep wire helps them sink farther down.

Edited by bluewater

The mag dipsy surprised us and we were ticking bottom in 90 fow with 200 feet of wire run on a 1.5 setting. It's nice not having to spot 350 feet of line to the fish.

I've hit bottom at 127 ft.with a deeper diver on 30 lb 7 strand with less than 200 ft. and set at 2 out so it is possible regardless what the charts are saying....a commonly used one was based on mono so there is a lot to be said for experimenting if you are using wire.

Does anyone ever catch fish on spoons w dipsys anymore? It seems the only action I get on the divers is with flasher fly combos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, but I lighten up the leader from 50#  to 30#  with spoons    As light as 15# on the Cayuga

I've hit bottom at 127 ft.with a deeper diver on 30 lb 7 strand with less than 200 ft. and set at 2 out so it is possible regardless what the charts are saying....a commonly used one was based on mono so there is a lot to be said for experimenting if you are using wire.

Thats impossible unless you were going 1 mph. All I use are deeper divers and magnums. My 107 deeper diver will be 2-1 ratio up to about 90' of wire out. As I go deeper the ratio gets to around 2.5-1.

Well the setup I have to run is an Okuma Magda Pro 20dx with Power Pro 40lb test 10 braid 300 yards of it. So a Magnum on that out 300 should get me to 100? I also have 2 riggers  Cannon and Big Jon and a Shimano Tekota 600lc 25lb Trilene Big Game mono to use. I have 10 color leadcore on a Diawa LG47 trolling rod and just for kicks I put my Striper reel an Avet MXL 5.8.1 on a rigger rod also that has Power Pro 40lb braid as well. So look  for the 18 foot Tan Sylvan Expedition with 90hp Honda 4 stroke off of Sandy Pond all this week Aug 17th to the 23rd. I will be fishing my a## off and hope to do well. 

It was on my buddy's boat with a 124 mm Deeper Diver and a lot of side current  but it is the honest to God truth and we were going 2 mph.

I hear black dipseys have been doing well this year.most of my fish came on black dipseys with spoons alone (magnum diamond kings.

Yep use any color you want as long as it's black!!!!  :rofl:   Seriously though black is the only color I use seems to work well.  Most use black.

• 2 weeks later...

After all I've been reading about wire line, I want to rig a Penn GTi320 with it. I bought 30# Malin at Cabelas but it only came in 450' spools. I thought I would back it with 30# mono. Will that work?

I'm a novice at Lake Ontario and only make it up from Maryland once or twice a year- so trying to learn from what I read here to make the trips productive.

Thanks in advance!

Well the setup I have to run is an Okuma Magda Pro 20dx with Power Pro 40lb test 10 braid 300 yards of it. So a Magnum on that out 300 should get me to 100? I also have 2 riggers  Cannon and Big Jon and a Shimano Tekota 600lc 25lb Trilene Big Game mono to use. I have 10 color leadcore on a Diawa LG47 trolling rod and just for kicks I put my Striper reel an Avet MXL 5.8.1 on a rigger rod also that has Power Pro 40lb braid as well. So look  for the 18 foot Tan Sylvan Expedition with 90hp Honda 4 stroke off of Sandy Pond all this week Aug 17th to the 23rd. I will be fishing my a## off and hope to do well. 

A bit off topic... I have Magda 20's that I use for browns.  A king might take you for a ride on a 20 if you have 300 yards out...unless you have skills :) I've had trouble with low teens browns out 175.