Heading out in the morning and haven't been on the water in a while. Would love some good advice. Thinking of starting in around 150 with riggers and dipsies. Would love to boat some fish since I am bringing some guys along who have never gone before.

If you don't have a temp probe to find thermocline, then I would say yes...150' is good and head north/northwest and set riggers in that 80-110' down and dipsy's back 250'-300' on a 2 setting and work the screen. The other day temp was down about 90'...but a few days before that it was 70-80'. Fish the screen and as you head north into more stable water the fish could be slightly deeper. See how many hooks come in from down low. When I fished on Sunday...best water was 190-215'fow... But there was also good fish out 350-500' if ur adventurous. Good luck

Do you still have to be a resident to launch there & is there any better parking have not been there in 20 yrs btw how close can u get to power plant

scroob

No, u need a permit. Resident permits are cheaper....but non residents can get a day pass or even a season pass. Just more expensive. The parks and rec office is in a building in Casey Park off Knickerbocker Road.

Loosh,

This time of year, the salmon are starting to stage and I think there is lots of warm water on the south shore right now (take a look at the Temp Trasnsects) so theorectically there should be cold water on the Canadian shore. If so, the kings should start to migrate to our shoreline from the Canadian side to start the staging process.

This time of year, "down temp" is less important so I would fish your screen on your fishfinder. You will find kings from 42 degrees to 74 degrees

You can do one of two things:

1.) head way offshore to find a higher down temp and target the non staging fish and likely some steelhead thrown in. Many, many times while guys are packed in the shore targeting the staging kings, we have been the only boat out in 400 fow pounding steelhead and juvenile kings non stop in late August and September.

2.) Start shallower and fish your graph marks. Many kings will also sit on the bottom in the depth of water where the thermocline intersects with the bottom.

Good luck and be safe,

Chris

No, u need a permit. Resident permits are cheaper....but non residents can get a day pass or even a season pass. Just more expensive. The parks and rec office is in a building in Casey Park off Knickerbocker Road.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wish more folks would ask about that....instead of making people who play by the rules and pay for their permit and then have to wait till 5 guys launch their boats who don't pay and know they are supposed to. And then get ugly when u suggest they get a permit.

Yes the launch does get ugly at times. Getting out early am usually are no issues but getting off the water is another story. Thanks for the advice. Better to get a permit. I informed my buddy at the town about the issues with the launch and was informed that they only employ a part timer ro check tags at peak times because of budgets.

It has been very different since the town hired someone to check permits. I haven't had a problem this year or last other than one guy who couldn't back up a trailer, but everyone has to start somewhere. Last week Sunday the towm employee cranked my boat onto my trailer for me. Early mornings are the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to the town office and was told the rules for the one time launch permits...

Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 2pm there is an attendant, who will take your $5. If you launch before 8am and come back before 2pm, you can pay him then.

During the week, you must obtain a permit from the town clerk. Otherwise you risk getting a ticket. The permit will be date stamped and you can buy multiple one-time-use permits for different dates. If you end up not using the permit on a date you thought you would, the town will issue you a replacement permit for a different date (but they won't refund your money).

I have verified so far that when the guy is there on the weekend, he is very polite and offers multiple times to help you launch your boat. He takes down your information and $5 and gives you a slip to put on the dashboard of your truck. I've also launched before 8am and come back when the guy was already gone, and I did not have a ticket. I parked at the waste plant, as it states in the rules. One guy who parked right across the street had a ticket.

Hope this helps someone.

Now, a Bear Creek related question - this time of year, does it make more sense to launch out of Sodus or I-Bay more, due to the numbers of kings staging there versus the small Bear Creek? Thoughts?

Edited by genEus

i fished around bear today.Good place for lakers but the kings have done a disapperaing act.I did mark a few today but n0thing like last week.temp was over 100 down ,big part why they werent there.