My most incredoble day on the water

Kevin J Legg

I spent an incredible day on Lake Ontario with Kelly Page and Pete Stratton. We were trolling deep diving cranks off boards. Fished from 7:00-2:00 and went 13 for 15 with two lost behind the boat. Fish ranged from 6.5 to 10.5 pounds and we also caught a 7.5 pound smallmouth ( the largest I've ever seen boated) We kept three and release ten. We had 3 doubles and ended the day with a quad although we landed the first before the forth one hit. We caught them on TD 11, Reef Runners, and Trolls To in a variety of colors and no I'm not going to share the location as I've been sworn to secrecy. I'll post more photo but here is a hog of a smallmouth.

post-144887-0-58049500-1376784932_thumb.jpg

Did you get a length measurement on the smallmouth? Just curious... I always said I would get one mounted if it was 22 inches or better.. 21.5 is the best I ever got.

I would expect the one you got was way beyond 22...

Great fish!!

I've caught two 5lb. smallies....1 at Chautauqua, 1 at Honeoeye. Had one estimated at 6+ right under the boat in gin clear water in Kueka break off. That fish of yours is HUUUUGGGEa!!! :o ...Looks like a grouper. Oh and BTW....what a great day for the 'eyes :yes: !

The smallmouth was a shade over 22" but had super girth. I've actually boated longer ones but never one that approached it's mass. It was extremely dark in color and did look like a grouper or big black sea bass. One more year and it may have overtaken the state record of 8.4 lbs. I guess the smallies really are thriving on the gobies!

Great day Kevin, my buddy said things are starting to pick up on the lake we are supposed to go sometime this week depending on the weather. We had a day similar to yours last year,just about this time of year, also my best day by far 11 eyes and probably 25smallies for total fish. we kept 12 bass and 9 eyes . The smallies out their are huge . That

one you guys caught is the biggest one I can say I have ever seen , I have seen quite a few of 4 to 5 out there.

I believe he said he's not sharing location and I don't blame him one bit. Nice haul and props to putting time in on the water and being rewarded with a great day. Also, he did post what kind of sticks he was pulling if you read his post.

Edited by overthelimit

Kevin what can i say you really earn some beauties! That 22 inch mark is tough to break. Ive caught many over 21 in the susquehanna, but never broke 22 in season. Spots arent always to be shared they are to be EARNED. I give alot of info but otisco walleye fishing us not spot specific, and if it was i wouldnt divulge it either. Kevin's results arent the norm in the water he fishes, and to anyone wanting info ask questions about technique and speed etc then go do the work on the water. Read between the lines and put the time in or hire a charter. Be thankful as you just got an awesome fishing report telling you its finally picking up!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

In re-looking at that 7lb+ smallie U caught a couple of weeks ago, I just had to ask.....did it fight like one might imagine a smallie of that size could fight? Did you know you had something special on ......I've trolled up a large smallie (5lb.) in Ontario while salmonid fishing with much heavier tackle and it was no big deal. I'll assume U were not using particularly heavy gear. How was the fight...... :wondering:  ?

Other than salmon, carp, and stripers everything gives up pretty easy when you pull on them with the boat trolling if you have fairly heavy tackle, and if you are keeping the eyes for the table I don't see the need for light tackle trolling.  Plus at Otisco you need more than spin tackle with the tigers unless you are casting, and even then releasing big tigers that are played out is nearly impossible in the summer.  Kevin how much do you slow down to fight the fish?  I try to go as slow as possible once the slack is taken up by the boat and the angler.  If I think its a big eye I go to neutral and use the trolling motor to keep the boards out and lines straight.  Its not usually a problem when the water temps drop as Im not going 2.5 to 3.5.  If im not driving the boat like last Saturday its tough and we end up pulling too hard.  I also run HEAVY tackle 50-80 lb braid and 25-50lb flouro leaders my outside rods if its daylight to handle the tigers, and those are the broomsticks we end up getting the big bass on. 

justin

Justin,

We're trolling around 1.5-2.0 so we don't need to slow down much for the walleyes but when trolling faster for kings we cut it back to around 1.5. I had a great day on the salmon river yesterday with my fly rod. Posted a nice photo on Tributary Site. Hope things work out so we can get together.