King action out from Sandy Creek yesterday

I had a great experience yesterday aboard Tannero's 24 ft. Proline with Jeff and his good friend George. We launched out of Sandy Creek and went a bit west  in about 160 ft of water to start out the beautiful morning. There were all sorts of marks on the screen and it appeared that we might have hit the jackpot about 80 to 100 ft down. We circled a couple times through them but they weren't interested in the multiple wire rigs with flashers and Spin Docs/fly combos or the spoons of various patterns and sizes fished off the downriggers with a variety of different leads. . We moved out to deeper water in search of active fish and at about a little over 300 ft Jeff connected with the first king of the day and mountain dew colored Spin Doc with a dark green and white Atomic fly set at  100 ft. Smaller king at about 10-12 lbs or so. We worked the 300-400 ft. range going east and out from in front of Braddocks and the mouth of  I think the Genesee (couldn't distinguish landmarks because of haze and distance). We worked that area for hours and George connected with a king about 20 plus and worked him skillfully to the net, Jeff caught another  in the 15 lb range and then I hooked onto a very large king and it was obvious right from the start he was a real good one. He not only took about 150ft. of wire on the first run but came right out of the water a good 2 or 3 ft. in the air way back as we had that rod out about 325 ft. He then jumped 4 more times about 2-3 ft. in the air while taking line  while then coming toward the boat and to the side. Each time he was fully out of the water and we got some real good looks at it...definitely over 30 and one of the better fighting kings I've had on in a long time. After about 15 minutes and the 5th jump he was all of a sudden gone. When I pulled in the rig the treble was gone and the 40 lb.mono had broken...unreal it wasn't a drag setting problem either...oh well... after that fight he deserved to be free anyway but it was a bit "disheartening". I later had another chance on my wire rig with mountain dew and white glow Spin Doc with a dark greenfly....about a 15-17 pound king made it into the box. All fish came off green flies.No action whatsoever on spoons. We had another fish on briefly on wire but then off. Along the way Jeff also lost a king that bent a standard fly treble out nearly straight. For totals we went 4 for 9 all kings in the box. Most fish and hits came from about 100 ft. down. Unfortunately Jeff's specially rigged "Dolphin" lures didn't work quite as well as anticipated  :lol: . A very enjoyable day indeed. Of interest is the fact that I had had never actually physically met either Jeff or George before our outing yet we fished together successfully without missing a beat....as though we had been doing it for years... another positive aspect attributable to this forum...it is a goldmine of information but also a great social mechanism for meeting like-minded people. A big thank you to Jeff.

post-145411-0-82560500-1376831160_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-62645200-1376831194_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-53494800-1376831215_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-03188500-1376831251_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-49125900-1376831277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks Cheers....Jeff (his boat) was very familiar with the area (grew up there) but most of my fishing has been either west at the Oak or Point Breeze or east at Sodus Point so it was me "out of my element" :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Had an awesome time and as LEs said, very cool experience the past two years on this forum and an excellent time meeting Les in person and fishing with him for the first time. Finally boated my first salmon and learned a bunch about these kings. After a hit, slow the boat down and clean the rods up to get em in. As for straightening the hook..... I sure hope slowing the boat down fixes that. Man, we lost a couple beauties on Atomik fly hooks that straightened right out.

Was great to have a couple of real good fisherman aboard. Great job George and Les.