Bird 997c si No GPS Postion Fix

Lew

I have a Bird 997c si. Never had a problem with it till last Friday, lost GPS in Henderson, was working fine.  This appeared on the screen  No GPS Postion Fix. I checked the connections, they seem to be fine, It shows it connected, unplug it and it will show it disconnected. anyone had this problem, bad antenna puck maybe?  I would like to hook my unit up to someone has the same unit and see if it is the antenna puck. But don't know anyone has a 977c si. I do travel to Watertown once a week.  I have never updated the software on this uint, not sure if this might be the problem, it doesn't seem like it would but you never know.

Thanks.

Edited by Lew56

My Humminbird 700 series has an internal antenna and the ability for the external as well. If you have this ability, maybe you can change it over to the internal antenna and check and see if that works. You could also try to reboot it. 

Good luck

I'm far from an expert on GPS or electronics for that matter but I know that GPS can lose the signal (or fail to receive one initially) for a variety of conditions and it may have nothing to do with your unit itself. It could be a variety of things affecting the signal from the satellite itself such as physical obstructions between it and your unit and some atmospheric conditions. I wouldn't base things on one time with physical location....try it from various places and if after it either fails to initialize repeatedly or loses the signal repeatedly try updating the software (probably should check to see if an update is available and do it anyway) and if that doesn't work contact the tech folks for your unit.

What antenna do you have? I have an H/B 16/4 antenna. If it's the same, I could ship it to you, and if it fixes the problem, send me $40.00 plus postage. If it doesn't fix it, send it back with my postage cost. If you are interested, PM me your mailing info.

Edited by Shellback

I got curious and removed the antenna puck from the hard top, removed the 3 torx screws and took it apart. What I found was water inside on the circuit board and the connection pins discolored. I dried it and cleaned the pins. with hopes it would work, It didn't, It's junk. Even if it did work I'm not sure I would trust it.  So I just may take you up on your offer Shellback, it is a H/B 16/4 antenna.

Edited by Lew56