Wiring a Raymarine S1000 to my HDS8-Gen2

retsey

Hello, Does anyone have any experience in wiring these two devices and what color NMEA wires should be connected.

I wired all 4 of my wires (per Raymarine Tech Guy) and I get a "no fix gps".

Very confusing and many forums that I read do not agree with each other.

Do I need to be switching something on my new HDS8 to let the HDS know there is another device connected?

I was reading there is a configuration that has to read "on". Anyone know where this is located on a HDS8?

Thank you in advance.

I do not have experience with the two units you mention but I did hok my FF/GPS up to my AP using NEMA input. It is likely you need to set your AP to use the NEMA input instead of a defualt network. To be honest unless your using the AP steering routes at cruising speed you really don't need the speed input from your FF/GPS ( I assume that is what info you were looking to get from the FF/GPS unit). At trolling speed your not going to throw someone out of the boat if the AP turned 90 degrees. Most only use the AP for trolling to keep the boat straight. Again no fear of tossing someone overboard. If you use your AP as a a ful blown unit then by all means hook it up to the FF/GPS to obtain your speed. If you have a new FF/GPS then your best to create and hook it up via netwrk cables not the NEMA output. My FF/GPS didn't come with the latest netwrk so I had to use the NEMA output. I did check and if I upgraded the FF/GPS it would come with the correct network for hooking up to the AP and no new transducer would be needed. But I am from the if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I am waiting beofre upgrading this unit.

Again this is assuming your AP is a stand alone unit (mine is). If your AP needs a GPS fix to hold course you probably should have spent a little extra money for a better AP (JMHO).

Spike