I-Bay - fantastic solo fishing 8/18/13 AM

I like to fish no more than once or twice a year solo, usually to give the boat a good wash down and at the same time get a few lures wet. Since I just returned from Cape Cod with my family, I was a little out of the fishing loop although it seemed like there was still a few good reports of nice majors.

I started in 220 fow and slowly headed north and east of Irondequoit Bay, and my best action was just north of 380 fow. I had my best solo day ever today, with majors galore.

As everyone has been reporting, the "down temp" was deep, in fact most of the day I spent fishing in 68-72 degree water focusing on my fishfinder and not the temperature as I targeted mainly the 80-125' of the water column (however there was tons of marks down 200-250' which I suspect were the big boys). There were tons of marks and bait from about 80-125'.

I started with a two rigger, one wire program and eventually switched out to a two rigger/600' copper program. All rods took fish and I wound up with five majors - ranging from 22# to 29#. The best was the 29 pounder on 600' copper.

I like to challenge myself and I think when you fish solo, it's just you and your tackle. Netting these beasts was a bear, especially the wire and copper, but all in all I didn't lose a single fish from knocking them off boat side. I finished up the day around 10 or 11 for 15 - all Chinook except one small steelhead which shook off about 10 feet behind the boat. When you're alone, you have nothing to do but focus on the fishing, lures, technique, etc. with no one to blame but yourself if you lose one. I think it makes you a better fisherman/woman in the long run, although I certainly miss company when it's a great day.

I had two doubles today, and the best action early was the wire followed by the riggers. When the wire cooled off, I switched it out to the 600' copper and it rocked.

The following all took fish today:

Riggers 95' - 125' - early on Bob Fuller KOS and DW SS Kevorkian free slider

Riggers 95-115' - Stinger NBK and Stinger UV tuxedo fixed slider 15' above the ball were hot later

Wire - 280'-315' - Hammertime Spinny/ Atommik Hammer Fly

600' Copper - Live Wire Spinny/42 second fly

Good luck to all - please be safe and enjoy this amazing fishery,

Chris

post-141087-0-73281300-1376856149_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-66027500-1376856172_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-89295800-1376856197_thumb.jpg

post-141087-0-32617600-1376856220_thumb.jpg

Nice Job! Went out friday afternoon and struggled to get a bite. Switched over to a laker program so not to get skunked. After this report I'll be fishing tomorrow just have to get a little more water under the boat it sounds.

great trip,i was out also solo today.i took three majors and some lakers and small kings.Majors came on the riggers with watermelon paddles and rainbow flies about 3 ft. backThe paddles were set about ten feet from the ball and ran slow about two mph.The last one was huge close to thirty and took almost a hour to boat.I did not take any long runs just buldoged behind the boat.

Nice going Chris....about netting time you were probably wishing you were an octopus :lol:

LOL!! It's actually quite amazing what you can do when you're trying to net these guys alone. Granted I have autopilot which makes all the difference in the world, but it still is a bit chaotic.

Next time I'm going to film it using my Go-Pro.

Good luck to all,

- Chris