Sandy Creek - 8/16 & 8/18

8/16

Went out for a couple hours after work on Friday with a friend of mine. We started out in about 200, and the screen was alive with bait and hooks everywhere. We set up with a 6 rod spread including downriggers with a variety of spoons, two wires with spin docs and sushi flies, a 600 copper and full core - both with spoons off of the planer boards. With temp down 90 to 110' I knew the core would be way out of temp - however we were seeing fish as high as 40' on the screen. Could not get anything to fire, so we crept out to 3-400. We took 3 hits and misses on the riggers and one on the copper before sunset. Right as the sun hit the horizon the 600 copper releases from the board and starts bopping. I grab the rod and start cranking! Very slow headshakes and clearly a lot of weight. I get up to my spro swivel connecting the backing to the copper and BAM! The fish must have realized it was hooked because it takes off on the first run, takes me nearly halfway through the 1000' of backing. I couldn't believe it. The fish takes 3 more good runs until i make it to the junction of copper to the leader. Finally the fish is 20' from the boat staying low, still have not seen it - it takes its last run going straight down for about 100'. Get that in, and you would think it would be absolutely spent, right? Nope. It has enough juice left to wrap itself around a downrigger cable. We end up getting the fish in the net with a VERY frayed leader - just in time to realize that the boat is now going in a circle and about to run over the empty planer board. No other choice but to cut the engine at this point! We spend the next hour detangling and then headed in. The fish weighed just over 30#, the third of that class fish so far - but the first that truly fought like one! It took approximately 35 mins to get him in.

8/18

Went out for the first time with my wife - she gets very sea sick so usually it's a no no. She put her scop patch on and we headed out around 1:00pm. The launch at sandy was a mess, with the USCG doing inspections as well. Luckily they weren't interested in talking to us, after a jog back from the lot were were on the water within 8 minutes of launching. We ran straight out to 220' and set up everything as Friday except left the core in the boat. Headed due North and had a teen king, 23" steelie and 10lb steelie in the boat within the first hour. My wife having her first go at trolling had a blast bringing the big steelie in- very acrobatic as you may expect! We had a lull for two hours after that, with a couple releases with nobody home around 350. We circled around with nothing for about 45 more minutes. Around 450' the 600' copper fires and we pull in a high teens king pretty quickly. Around sunset it's my wifes turn again, and she sees the port rigger fire, game on! It was a screamer! She had a blast bringing in the low 20's king with the beautiful sunset as a backdrop. It was a 100% spoon bite for us on both trips - not one fire on the wires no matter what paddle we throw on them. The hot lure was black/glow. 

post-142596-0-35769500-1376914134_thumb.jpg

post-142596-0-89516800-1376914144_thumb.jpg

Good going Matt on both the fishing and getting your wife interested....like LundSS said "boring" my wife used to even ice fish with me when we were dating but after we married it became the last thing on her "bucket list" Sound familiar fellas? :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Good going Matt on both the fishing and getting your wife interested....like LundSS said "boring" my wife used to even ice fish with me when we were dating but after we married it became the last thing on her "bucket list" Sound familiar fellas? :lol:

Yeah, it was just a play in the process of hooking US! I mean, what better than a female you might find loving and caring, AND fishes with you! A fishing buddy right outta the blue! ...

and then...and then...along came junior, along came the housework, along came shopping...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why she wants to do all that and give up fishing with me:blink::blink:...huh?...I'll be darn....well;..I wonder what's fer supper when I git back from trollin today?

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Oh and yes yes to the fine fishing there Matt...don't get confused though...there is some payback somewhere to be wary of...I mean you know... wife and fishing..hmmmm?

Nice report! I can honestly say I'm lucky to have a wife that WANTS to go camping twice a year (on an island, in a tent, no electric, no showers, outhouse) and

who also enjoys going out on the boat with me.

Best part, she doesn't have any interest in reeling anything in. She just watches the rods and points out when they fire....

.....and I couldn't get a spoon to fire ALL weekend. Go figure. Great job getting your wife out, mine just thinks trolling is boring.

Yeah, this trip has been like 3 or 4 years in the making. I'm just really glad we had some nice action - I think this may help with a possible future boat upgrade as well

Great job Matt. Last 4 days have bean 95% paddles for us. BTW: how bout a pic of your beautiful wife with a fish. We've seen your mug in enough pictures!

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, it was just a play in the process of hooking US! I mean, what better than a female you might find loving and caring, AND fishes with you! A fishing buddy right outta the blue! ...

and then...and then...along came junior, along came the housework, along came shopping...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why she wants to do all that and give up fishing with me:blink::blink:...huh?...I'll be darn....well;..I wonder what's fer supper when I git back from trollin today?

haha yeah! Before we went out she made sure to tell me this is not a regular thing, but somewhere between the time that steelhead went cruising through the air and she asked for the belt to fight the king I think a good impression was made. Still waiting on Junior, but we've been married 4 years, so the rest of "life" has had a chance to set in. Hey, anything to spend more time on the lake i'm pushing for :)

Oh and yes yes to the fine fishing there Matt...don't get confused though...there is some payback somewhere to be wary of...I mean you know... wife and fishing..hmmmm?

hahahaha

hmmm.... good point

Nice report! I can honestly say I'm lucky to have a wife that WANTS to go camping twice a year (on an island, in a tent, no electric, no showers, outhouse) and

who also enjoys going out on the boat with me.

Best part, she doesn't have any interest in reeling anything in. She just watches the rods and points out when they fire....

That's great. Mine loves the outdoors & Tent camping - but i think showers and a flush toilet would be the line that she draws. :)

Great job Matt. Last 4 days have bean 95% paddles for us. BTW: how bout a pic of your beautiful wife with a fish. We've seen your mug in enough pictures!

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, I tried - no dice. :)  She hates pictures - apparently bikini fishing pictures are included  :(