What downrigger releases do you like?

I have always used Roemers and I have been frustrated with them lately. My line wears a groove into the plastic line clip and gets stuck in the groove. It won't release when it gets caught in the groove. I'm ready to try something different. What do you guys like

Black's with the possibility of Chamberlain's for stackers (saw them used this weekend but still prefer the Blacks for simplicity/speed of use for main release). The Chamberlain's would probably be superior for something like Walleyes though (soft or short hitting).

I even used the Blacks way back when they looked like this:

post-145411-0-71471300-1376959994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Black's releases are the way to go.

Blacks for me too,just starting to have twisting problem right at release. I use the best swivels on the market, wondering if fleas may be problem, or possible double loop i like to use just before clipping line to release. Anybody ever see this?

I really like the Chamberlain's. you can really crank the line down tight and they will release on even the small fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

"Blacks for me too,just starting to have twisting problem right at release. I use the best swivels on the market, wondering if fleas may be problem, or possible double loop i like to use just before clipping line to release. Anybody ever see this?"

I've always done about 7 to 10 twists before doing the loop on the arm and it is never a problem.

im a weekend warrior but have tried many releases in my dads boat when i was  a kid we had romers and walkers.  now i have my own and have used walkers and romers (the same releases from my dads boat in the 80s in fact).  i recently replaced the romer with a blacks and definatly think it is easier to use espeicially when leaning over.  that being said the walker is still the best I can set it quick with one hand and it always works no twists no loops nothing to tangle and you can adjust the tension with ease.  I dont see them around much anymore but if you see them they get my vote for what its worth. 

Chamberlain just as fast and easy as Blacks with the ability to crank down the rod tension and still have a light release for shakers.

I couldn't agree more, especially for the lite bite walleye  :yes:  :yes: