Lowrance

I have an HDS8 I love it. The smart keys on the bottom add to the functionality for settings and the screen is big enough to run in split screen mode. I have a platinum chip in mine works great on Erie and Ontario. The new touch screens look sweet but they won't be for everyone. The HDS Gen 2's are alot faster and run the high capacity map cards much faster. 

I bought a Lowrance Elite 7, the biggest mistake I ever made. I had so many problems I can't even remember what was the first one, they don't have enough memory to run a decent card, like one that has depth contours, and you can't zoom in enough to see what depth your in on the chart, of course you have your depth finder so you know what depth water your in. They only accept the mini cards. They claim it's user friendly, but with POOR instructions, you better play with it a while before heading out on the water or you will be disappointed and aggravated with it not to mention totally confused and you fishing trip will be consumed with the finder and not fishing, if your gps works right you might be out of the knowledge of your ground speed. Mine is coming off my boat and I'm getting a fish finder and a separate gps so when one pukes I still have one or the other not totally out of commission. Probably going with a Furuno fish finder and I don't know yet what for chart plotter. 

I got a Furuno FCV-627 unit this spring with an Airmar thru hull trans for around $950.00. It's a FF only but it is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I bought a Lowrance Elite 7, the biggest mistake I ever made. I had so many problems I can't even remember what was the first one, they don't have enough memory to run a decent card, like one that has depth contours, and you can't zoom in enough to see what depth your in on the chart, of course you have your depth finder so you know what depth water your in. They only accept the mini cards. They claim it's user friendly, but with POOR instructions, you better play with it a while before heading out on the water or you will be disappointed and aggravated with it not to mention totally confused and you fishing trip will be consumed with the finder and not fishing, if your gps works right you might be out of the knowledge of your ground speed. Mine is coming off my boat and I'm getting a fish finder and a separate gps so when one pukes I still have one or the other not totally out of commission. Probably going with a Furuno fish finder and I don't know yet what for chart plotter.

Hi Pap - I see you got an elite 7 and were not happy with it. I have an elite 5 and was wanting to upgrade to the larger elite 7. Do you plan to replace the elite 7, and if so is yours available for sale? Is this the GPS/sonar combo model? Thanks!

Hi Pap - I see you got an elite 7 and were not happy with it. I have an elite 5 and was wanting to upgrade to the larger elite 7. Do you plan to replace the elite 7, and if so is yours available for sale? Is this the GPS/sonar combo model? Thanks!

FleetTracker I don't want to sound snooty, but I wont sell this piece of $hit to anyone I know or someone that is looking for a good finder, it has been back to Lowrance twice and they know it's a problem and want to work with me on a HDS7. I bought it from Cabelas and they told me I could return it in trade for what ever I choose, they have the Furuno I want, of course I have to shell out a few more bucks but that's the rout I'm going to take. I'd be foolish to pass that up, not to mention all the migraine pills you will need if I sold this unit to you, I don't want to be the red headed step child in your eyes.

This is a good thread. I was all set to buy the Elite 7 but decided to hold off for this yearand I am glad that  I did. Most likely I wont be shelling out $1000 for a Furuno. If I fished exclusively on Lake O I would, but the 3-4 times I get there I dont think I will swing it. I might look at the Humminbird lineup.

1. Not to buck the trend but I have an Elite 7 and like it. I personally did not find it that hard to run, installed a chip in it for NYS and get all the contour info. with no memory issue, chart works fine. For a $700 chart/plotter I would buy it again in a heart beat. Everyone has their favorite brand, all brands have a lemon once in awhile, it's all relative.

I also have had the Elite 7 for a month now and it has been working great on Lake O with no troubles and was easy to get set-up the way I like it tracking the rigger balls along with marking the fish and bait just fine. I dont use many of the chart features though only using the trails and waypoints as thats all I need out there. When trolling over 200 fow and deeper the 2x and 4x zoom feature also works great to watch just the column of water I'm setting my riggers at.

Nothing wrong with elite 7 tons of bang for the buck, sounds like pap didn't look at the unit (seeing mini cards only) nor the instructions, can't please everyone. I know guys with them and they love them. The 7 series birds had tons of trouble when they came out. Nothing is perfect.

elite 7 is awful....works great as sooner, for those of you that are happy with the map contour lines have you ever used anything else? there is NO detail in the map capabilities of the elite 7, I had an older lcx model with the classic navionics and that showed way more detail.....I called navionics and lowrance when I bought the unit, because i fiugured there had to be an error, and was initially told the problem is the "gold" card that comes with the unit is really a promo with not as much detail....forked over the cash for an actual gold card and low and behold no difference...spoke with lowrance again and they admitted they know the software isnt capable of reading the maps, even the new version 1.8......I complained bitterly about paying 850 for a unit that you cannot use properly.....they said they are working on another software update....and by the way...it keeps shutting off....just buy an hds 7 or better yet a bird

Have had a Elite 5 for a year now .. No problems whatsoever ... Used on Ontario Erie and the fingers and has worked flawlessly. .. Great sonar and great maps.... I think this whole fish finder deal comes down to preference and which brand you are comfortable using.... Lowrance has never let me down. .

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Which transducer do you recommend on the elite 7?

I have the 83/200 + 455/800 HDI and it has been working great! I dont use the DSI while trolling the lake but when in the shallows it does show you the bottom details very good where you can tell the trees\logs\weeds separate from the fish.

Check out the Garmin units. I have heard nothing but good about the GPS, the fish finder, ease of use and reliability. I have a Lowrance LX19c that after 8 seasons is starting to go bad. ... Screen comes on blank, sometimes upside down, and sometimes unreadable. Have to cycle on off several times before it starts working.

I think I am going to go with the Garmin 741xs with CHIRP.