Got blown off this morning! Not sure which report to believe anymore. I listened to NOAA while on the water and it was stated to be blowin around 5-8 out of sw. Well the white caps and big rollers seemingly out of the west led me to question the validity of the report, that and my barfing 12 year old. Me and my 17.5' Lund tucked our tail and headed in. Super calm near shore but that isn't where the fish are!!

Gotta find one that is 32.06 to beat My buddy Brett! Lol

Better luck next time!

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have learned so many times not to trust the reports on weather. I drive 4 hrs one way to fish a couple days and more often then not its blowing 20 plus... Go figure only job in the world u can be wrong all the time and still keep that job!!

I have learned so many times not to trust the reports on weather. I drive 4 hrs one way to fish a couple days and more often then not its blowing 20 plus... Go figure only job in the world u can be wrong all the time and still keep that job!!

the second would be president :lol:

My older son is evidently more prone to the sea sick deal. Sadly he has been on lake O only 3 times this year and all have ended early cuz of chumming and the only trip last year ended early because of a nasty storm that came in unexpectedly. I hate it for him because he has yet to enjoy the thrills of lake O fishing!

I tend to check sites like weather.com, weatherbug.com etc and look at what they project the winds to be throughout the day.  If it's out of the South less than 10mph, the lake should be flat as glass.  If they show out of the south less than 10, building 10-20mph, then it should be nice in 100fow or less and really rough out deep.  If it's N, NW, W greater than 10mph, it's going to be bumpy!  But make sure to check the hour by hour detail, as it may be calm in the morning and rough later or vice versa.  The wave forecasts say what it will be like at some point during the day and often are right for about 5 mins ;)

Nick

FLX .....here are some links for ya for weather. On the first one go to the map and click where you fish.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=43.39706523932025&lon=-77.88414001464844

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=tmp&l=lo&p=a

and on this one be sure to clik on the L. O. links

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/

and if you ever get out to Sandy Creek (near Hamlin) this is a webcam. Check the flag for direction, and the trees for speed.  lol

http://byc.axiscam.net:8081/view/index.shtml

Should make it mandatory that  the meteorologist trolls in a 17 footer tinner in 300-500 fow then the little gnome might work a little harder at getting it right! :ninja:

the central lake buoy was showing a 2 foot wave this morning and I was experiencing some that seemed bigger. I thought I was at the ocean hearing the waves breaking around me.

I would have stayed if not for my boys and wanting them to enjoy the trip. I also had to return to work because my help cx on me. As stated earlier it was more fishable inside of 150 but I had another agenda!!:)

I can't count the times I've seen the forcast wrong. That's why I go by what I see. And even then Sandy cam can show light winds but when we make the run out it gets rougher and rougher. By the same token, I've seen it rough near shore and when we made the run out to 500, 600' it would be dead flat. Lady O can do some weird stuff. Guess it's a crap shoot.

I run into the same thing. Weather Underground shows winds at the airport from the south. The central Lake Buoy shows less than one foot, winds out of the south. Check all the local weather bugs that I can find, even check out the home owner weather stations....

I get to Sandy, and the wind is from the NW, or NE, and it's big rollers if I'm lucky, or just really nasty short chops with white caps that make it

absolutely no fun by yourself in an 18' Tracker.

We need to find someone that lives up on the lake within a few miles of Sandy that is willing to either:

A)Put up an online anemometer so we can see what the wind is REALLY doing or

B)Give us their phone number so we can call, any time of the day, (well, if I'm wishing, may as well go big right?) and ask what the lake looks like from

his back yard.

I live in Chili, so it's only a 35 minute drive, but I just hate getting up there only to find that conditions are totally opposite of what I thought they

would be. I know I'm going to get blown off the lake, but I still have to go through the motions of launching, slowly going out to 100 fow to realize it's

a no go. Those days I would have been better off handing the wife $15 bucks....would be cheaper than the gas I spend.

Maybe I'm wrong but you have to look at the buoy from "sea level" a 2' wave is the peak... it doesn't reflect the trough. In other words 2' is really 4' from peak to trough. Making things even less than ideal for us smaller boats. Worst I've ever been in 6.5' Advocate charters was disappearing between the waves about 50 yards from me. He has a tower that sticks up 16' +/- of the water.