GPS coordinates?

Been finishing out of olcott for two years now and do ok every year but not as good as we would like..have a good program just can't stay on the fish.i hear alot and read alot about the 30 or 32 lines but am not sure where they are..I know they are coordinates but where do I find those numbers?

This is from At The Oak:

Depth Of Water

23 N To 37N

We've received quite a few e-mails asking for a conversion chart for latitude numbers to depth of water. We can only give you our own approximate figures. Of course, this will change both east and west of the Oak. For accurate info for the area you're fishing, purchase a nautical chart...most ship stores and some marinas sell them.

North Lat Line Approximate

Depth Of Water

23N 50'

24N 100'

25N 250'

26N 300'

27N 400'

28N 450'

29N 500'

30N 550'

31N 575'

32N 600'

33N 610'

34N 605'

35N 600'

36N 590'

37N 560'

If you continue trolling north after this and the numbers keep dropping, it means perhaps you should do a 180, unless you have a Canadian license.

They are the minutes, or middle numbers of lat. the harbor at Olcott is at the "20" line, approximately. Each minute of latitude in this part of the world is approx 1 mile, so the 30 and 32 lines are 10-12 miles offshore.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

I look for those numbers on my gps and never saw them?i went way out only could find 540ft of water. If I head straight north from the harbor will I find that line..

They are there. Learn how to use your GPS. On the Humminbirds if you are on the map and hit the arrow keys your Lat/Lon will pop up on the top of the screen. You can also select to display your Lat/Lon as a readout.

I look for those numbers on my gps and never saw them?i went way out only could find 540ft of water. If I head straight north from the harbor will I find that line..

Water gets deeper off the Oak than it does off Olcott.

540 fow off Olcott was definitely in the 30-32 line range, if not further.

Tim

These are some made-up GPS numbers like you will find on your equipment that has GPS

N72.32.716

W51.47.513

The lines referred to in the postings are found in the example. Look at the N numbers. You will see the 32 (that is the 32 line with the following numbers being the portion past the beginning of 32. after 32.999 it will change to 33.000)

What Tim is saying is that at Wilson you are starting at the 20 line and have to go N about 12 miles to reach the 32 line.

Hope this clears up the confusion.