Downrigger mounting board

I have a Lund Pro-V and I'm thinking about adding a downrigger mounting board so I can run 3 or 4 downriggers. I've been looking at the ones made by Bert's. $462.00 is more than I want to spend. I want something that is easily removable because I use the boat for other types of fishing. Does anyone have any ideas for a cost effective way to make this type of set up? Or does anyone know of any options that are less expensive than the ones made bu Bert's?

He Bass, look at this thread. It is a bunch of guys on this very topic which I was exploring as well as what my final solution ended up being which was $200 delivered, took me about 2 hours to install, and has worked great!

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/36459-i-might-be-pathetic/page-2

From a past bad experience with a treated wood mounting board to mount riggers on, use nothing but bolts, lockwashers, nuts,and metal backer plate (if you choose this option). Wood screws don't hold and a backer plate is necessary to prevent nuts from pulling through the wood. Prevent rigger loss!

He Bass, look at this thread. It is a bunch of guys on this very topic which I was exploring as well as what my final solution ended up being which was $200 delivered, took me about 2 hours to install, and has worked great!

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/36459-i-might-be-pathetic/page-2

Do you have a picture of your finished product? It sounds like just what I'm looking for. What did you use for the board? Channel or rectangular tube?

I have 2 big jon slide and lock bases and 6" pedestals that were used for the board I had on the back of my boat. I even have a 2x10 of stained Douglas fir that had 4 riggers mounted to it if you want it.

Where are you located? I think that would work for me. I'm in New Hampshire.

Do you have a picture of your finished product? It sounds like just what I'm looking for. What did you use for the board? Channel or rectangular tube?

Bass, the C Channel was more than strong enough. I'll take some pictures of it finished this weekend. My biggest thing, like you, is I wanted easily removable and also STOWABLE, which is why I went with the Aluminum as a Doug Fir board would weigh a ton more moving around and storing. I sprayed the ends with spray rubber just for a finished look and to make them softer if my clumsy butt swung it into the glass moving it. I easily bungee it to my hardtop if I want it out of the way. 

Also the C Channel gives you easier access to the under size for washers and bolts. The tube either would make you tap/thread it, go though two layers with the drill, or run stuff down inside which is a pain.

• 6 months later...

I finally finished my removable downrigger board. I got an aluminum 2" x 4" from a dock builder near where I live. I put cannon track on top of the 2" x 4". I used Big Jon 6" stanchion mounts for my riser between the boat and the 2" x 4" and I used a big Jon quick mounting bases so it is all removable. post-153336-13951054861285_thumb.jpgpost-153336-13951055048805_thumb.jpgpost-153336-13951055210044_thumb.jpgpost-153336-13951055392814_thumb.jpgpost-153336-13951055566959_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

this is the guy who has the downrigger board for sale.my boat has a7'6" ft beam and the board is 7' 6"let me know if interested

need 8', thanks

Edited by scobar

• 1 month later...

I finally finished my removable downrigger board. I got an aluminum 2" x 4" from a dock builder near where I live. I put cannon track on top of the 2" x 4". I used Big Jon 6" stanchion mounts for my riser between the boat and the 2" x 4" and I used a big Jon quick mounting bases so it is all removable. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1395105483.387879.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1395105502.147298.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1395105519.181560.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1395105537.385813.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1395105554.605255.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do you have one of those wives that will not allow deer heads in the living room?