Im new to the LO fishing scene. Grew up fishing Lake Erie. I live in Buffalo and am traveling to rochester saturday to go out off Rochester on my nephews boat(he lives there). As of right now the weather forecast is calling for a Northeast/east wind. In forty years of fishing Erie one thing has been constant. If you dont  want to catch fish, go out on an east wind and you'll be guaranteed to get skunked. Does this rule hold for ontario kings and steelhead. I went out with him(my nephew) last year off the Genny and the wind quickly switched from southwest to east and we didnt get a single hit after the wind changed. Also, how accurate are the weather forecasts with respect to the wind around rochester. If I look at the forecast on friday night and it says winds from the east on saturday should I just cancel the trip or is it a crap shoot as far as what direction the wind may come from the next day regardless of the weather forecast. Any advice is appreciated.

Im new to the LO fishing scene. Grew up fishing Lake Erie. I live in Buffalo and am traveling to rochester saturday to go out off Rochester on my nephews boat(he lives there). As of right now the weather forecast is calling for a Northeast/east wind. In forty years of fishing Erie one thing has been constant. If you dont  want to catch fish, go out on an east wind and you'll be guaranteed to get skunked. Does this rule hold for ontario kings and steelhead. I went out with him(my nephew) last year off the Genny and the wind quickly switched from southwest to east and we didnt get a single hit after the wind changed. Also, how accurate are the weather forecasts with respect to the wind around rochester. If I look at the forecast on friday night and it says winds from the east on saturday should I just cancel the trip or is it a crap shoot as far as what direction the wind may come from the next day regardless of the weather forecast. Any advice is appreciated.

That is funny. that is the same saying for making maple syrup. "Wind from the East, sap runs the least, wind from the West, sap runs the best"

I agree with finsntins.One must consider that the absolute best fishing of the year occurs between Aug. 20th and Sept 10th. on the Eastern end of the Lake. Every year is different, but if I had the choice to fish or not to fish? I guess that's a no-brainer. Just looking forward to when I can fish that lake everyday that mother nature allows, from late april- mid sept. Just got to get a kid thru College. Good Luck.

Screw the wind.  I would be more worried about this stupid full moon.  After todays humbling day on the lake, I hate a full moon way more than an East wind. 

Amen!   I've caught plenty of fish with an East wind.  Last year I think it was the only direction it blew all year.  The full moon is the killer for me.

Last  Labor Day weekend the wind blew dead out of the east for 3 days and we averaged 15 bites each day.The fish were stacked in 100fow straight out of the salmon river and we put a hurtin on them each day.Up until then i believed the east wind  shut them down but that made me rethink  that theory.