BEST COMBOS

Newbie here. Gonna be fishing off rochester this weekend for kings/steelies. Gonna stop at the tackle shop before i go. Looking for suggestions on combinations. Spin doctor or Paddle and spoon. Spin doctor or Paddle and flies. Spin doctor or Paddle and cut bait.  Whatever works best. Whats your favorite combo.

On the cut bait does anyone have a particular baitholder color they prefer. We are targeting both kings and steelhead so Im looking for combos on both. If there are any good articles on this they would be appreciated also. Thanks for any help.

this time of year I love big white flashers and flies first thing in the morning  and switch to silvers or monkey puke before dark and white works well too.   Go get some cut bait as well if you can find it because its on this time of year.  I don't know why these three colors work for me the best during late august but they just do.  Good luck!

If someone on here tells you a "steelhead pattern" there nuts... yes you can catch them but there one of the hardest to catch with any consistency. As far as kings... anything green, white, dots, glow, J-plugs, and cut bait are all catching fish right now.

If you want to catch steelhead, run spoons, high in the water column and troll fairly fast.  They are actually ridiculously easy to catch if you fish FOR them.

We catch some on flasher/fly rigs but if I was targeting them specifically, that's not what I'd run.

Tim

The mountain dew spin doctor with a b-fin or a sweet pea at about 85-95 down took the most fires for me last weekend with the high sun. My green/double crush glow spin doctor with a glow TG fly was hot as my deep rig.( 100-125 ) Don't forget about the NBK sting ray spoon. These combos caught steelies and kings for me.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm with Tim on that one....sometimes steelies are caught while fishing for kings or "anything" trolling but a lot of the time it is at the high end of the kings speed range or while speeding up on turns and mainly spoons or sticks rather than "combos" and although they are both found out in deep water the steelies seem to prefer areas higher in the water column than the kings and it is usually the"high" setup out there that gets them.

...sometimes steelies are caught while fishing for kings or "anything" trolling but a lot of the time it is at the high end of the kings speed range

Where do you come up with this stuff ...??? Kills me. You seem highly educated and very good on the keyboard but really... speed range. To funny

What I was talking about Lund is that when fishing for kings with Spin Docs and flashers most folks don't usually go as fast as they do with just spoons when they are fishing specifically for rainbows or steelies. I guess I could have worded it more carefully. I wasn't referring to the speed capabilities of Chinooks but to boat trolling speed. I'm well of aware how fast they are. I was just offering my two cents based on my own experience to folks who may be new to this stuff.  You can take it or leave it.

Edited by Sk8man

If you want to catch steelhead, run spoons, high in the water column and troll fairly fast.  They are actually ridiculously easy to catch if you fish FOR them.

We catch some on flasher/fly rigs but if I was targeting them specifically, that's not what I'd run.

Tim

what Tim said. I you want to target a mix of Kings and Steel you need to rig slightly differently. One way to get a mixed bag is to run a flasher/fly setup off a rigger and put a spoon with a free slider on it. for steelhead usually like anything red/orange (bright colors)  another good steelhead rig is a bright orange flasher with a small blue or green fly behind it. when steelies are "on top" you can also flat line spoons and rapala's off the surface using planer boards. dont be afraid to try different setups and let the fish dictate what they want. when you get a rod to "fire" just repeat everything exactly what you were doing (depth/speed/color) etc.