Almost imperceptible bend in prop - should I worry? Pics inside

genEus

After getting skunked first time out of Bear Creek, decided to pack up a few yards away from the launch, not seeing on my FF *just* how shallow it was there. Ran into the giant boulders with my prop at idle speed and immediately killed the motor and trimmed it up. No visible damage. On second look, after getting the boat out, I could see a small bend in the prop. I read you can cause damage to the lower unit with a bent prop but not sure whether this bend is much to worry about or not. Can anyone help assess the situation 

post-150626-0-36291600-1377108282_thumb.jpg

post-150626-0-67508700-1377108287_thumb.jpg

post-150626-0-06702000-1377108292_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look real bad but at high end speed you may pick up vibration because of the curvature in it. If you are depending on that motor it may be worth taking it to a prop dude to assess it rather than depend on us "armchair quarterbacks"  :)

Edited by Sk8man

I fix props all the time, so take this for what its worth, you have an alum prop, its very inexpensive so remember that. A prob dude will charge more than that prop is worth to fix it.

Take it off and use a solid backer and a block of wood, and a hammer and gently and slowly shape it back. You will be surprised at how easy it is to do, and if you screw it up remember the first sentence.... :)  But seriously that would be very easy to bend back into shape with a little hammering, then file off the bur and your good to go.

Spin it in neutral and make sure they're isn't a wobble to the prop. I dinged mine up at the end of last season and still use it but I also made sure it didn't wobble.

Sent from my thinking chair...

• 2 weeks later...

I fix props all the time, so take this for what its worth, you have an alum prop, its very inexpensive so remember that. A prob dude will charge more than that prop is worth to fix it.

Take it off and use a solid backer and a block of wood, and a hammer and gently and slowly shape it back. You will be surprised at how easy it is to do, and if you screw it up remember the first sentence.... :)  But seriously that would be very easy to bend back into shape with a little hammering, then file off the bur and your good to go.

Did this. Today. Looks 1000x better. Thanks for the advice y'all.  :yes: