Well I have been having a great time in this awesome fishery and today was no exception. Caught another King with my limited experience and equipment so feeling pretty good. I did have a most unpleasant experience this evening however. Fishing with the pack off Mexico point and everyone is doing there thing when all of a sudden a most unfriendly voice yells to me in my little boat. If you cross my lines I will “sink your boatâ€. Yupp... sink my boat he said it twice. Then he called me by my actual name and said I was a punk. Now this was a charter boat who continued to lament about how he does this for a living and I am only out there for fun. Anyway I won’t tell you who it was however I am sure some of you already know who I am talking about based on his behavior. I am sure I am not the first person he was obnoxious to. Anyway most everyone else is super nice and helpful. I will say he is lucky I don’t call the police and have him arrested for threatening. They don’t take kindly to those kinda threats these days.

I have a good idea that it is not any of the charters that dock up at the Lighthouse, or Clarks.

Those guys seem to be plenty good fellows.

Certainly behavior that his clients when witnessed would likely take a dim view of as well

I do agree that care needs to be taken when coming across the back  of any fishing vessel out there, as they may have some long stuff out back.

I know, I been cut off before.

Giving room is certainly fair, but if someone wants to run 600'copper and troll in the middle of 100 boats, it's a little self involved of anyone - weekend warrior of charter - to expect everyone to get out of YOUR way just because you decided to run a line(s) 25 boats lengths behind you. If someone wants to do that, fish inside or outside of the pack. On the other hand, I've watched some real dimwits troll straight through the pack lines totally oblivious to boats whose stern they pass with 50 feet to spare. So, I guess you can argue both ways, depending on your perspective. :)

Giving room is certainly fair, but if someone wants to run 600'copper and troll in the middle of 100 boats, it's a little self involved of anyone - weekend warrior of charter - to expect everyone to get out of YOUR way just because you decided to run a line(s) 25 boats lengths behind you. If someone wants to do that, fish inside or outside of the pack. On the other hand, I've watched some real dimwits troll straight through the pack lines totally oblivious to boats whose stern they pass with 50 feet to spare. So, I guess you can argue both ways, depending on your perspective. :)

Agreed, however, the sinking the boat comments are beyond ridiculous.

Agreed, however, the sinking the boat comments are beyond ridiculous.

Sorry - absolutely no reason - EVER - to threaten to sink someone. I only meant I've seen some clueless people fishing in the packs that just suddenly take 90 degree turn and plow through everyone else - no need for that either.

Always sad to hear about stories like this, rest assured that captain will regrettably yell at someone that maybe wasn't in his best interest to do so. Everyone has at one time turned the wheel and to look up to see a boat that came out of nowhere. I also realize there maybe some less ethical people out there. Sometimes you need to act as an adult and bite your tounge. Buzzer I would put it in the past. Or you can invite your local encon officer out for an enjoyable evening of action. Im sure he would love to go out. Just let me know when, I will even pay you the gas money to go lol.

Reminds me of when I was a kid out there in my 12 footer and two cannon mini trolls lol. In fair haven we have a place we call "the hole" and back then you would have (particularly this time of year) packs of boats in a very tight area. Obviously chartering wasnt that big back then but none the less you still had attitudes out on the lake.

Just shrugg it off really. Dont sweat it. Its not worth getting worked up over those types of people.

My dad used to have a saying lol..."thats what your middle finger is for" lol

Do not be intimidated.Be respectful  but  You have as much right to the lake as anyone. I might have to make a point of being his shadow for a while. But thats just who I am.

I have played chicken with a few captains in my day while combat fishing. Cut off a dipsey once. All part of the fun of fishin in the pack.

Do not be intimidated.Be respectful  but  You have as much right to the lake as anyone. I might have to make a point of being his shadow for a while. But thats just who I am.

I have played chicken with a few captains in my day while combat fishing. Cut off a dipsey once. All part of the fun of fishin in the pack.

Sometimes a quick visit to the dock can resolve issues like that, its to bad stuff like that happens!

It is silly season on the lake...i love it when I get yelled at by these so called pros.  Most of the time its "them" who try to run you off course because they think they own the water that we all put our hard earned money into by buying fishing licenses and putting money into the local economy for their towns to survive.  Hopefully the people who were on the charter realize now that they hired the wrong man for the job and will look elsewhere next year when booking, maybe he only screwed himself.  Almost everytime I will yield to the other boat even if I have the right of way and there is nothing better than hooking up right next to that boat as he passes.  Sometimes I even give him the thumbs up as the drag is screaming to let him know i am thankful for him putting me on the fish.  Like others said above just brush it off and know that you are the better man. 

I agree fully with Trenchfisherman, BE the better man and It's cool when you hook-up next to a Charter Boat that just cut you off, only to have a rod fire and his patrons watching you and a buddy with envy, crank in a King.

That Guy is a dick, he'll get his eventually. People like that ruin the sport and I can't say I'd blame anyone for plastering his name all over these boards if they felt the need to.

I havnt had any real bad experiences fishing in the pack yet but being a smaller boat I do feel that the bigger guys try and muscle you around. The rules of right of way definitely don't apply to trolling out there. Lol I try and stay to the outside of the pack more often than not.

The only time you will see the term " right of way" in any boating skills and seamanship text ,is when a vessel is downbound (going with the current " in a narrow channel . The downbound vessel has the "right of way "  . There are "stand on and give way vessels only " . A lot of problems arise when some "captain " thinks he has the "right of way " . Common sense and courtesy are required when on the water . I am,  and always will be , an advocate for a  mandatory boating skills course for ALL boaters . Boats are the only vehicles which can be operated with no training at all . And from the posts I read and my time on the water , training would be a big help out there .

It's a shame that there are people out there calling themselves Professionals when actually they are nothing but Amatures. A true professional would not have acted that way. Call the Coast Guard and give them his boat info and let them have a conversation with him.

buzzer123  I am sorry this happened to you but my advice is store it in the memory bank and move on. Hopefully venting on here will help you do that. People say and do stupid things when they are wrong, ignorant, mean, even embarassed in front of clients.... There are times we all make mistakes or do things that someone else may intrepret as wrong- but even an idle threat to sink a boat is at a minimum obnoxious. As a former prosecutor I had cases that started with 2 upset drivers and ended up with someone hurt and someone charged. Continue to be the bigger man- you clearly already are.  

The fish God owns whole lake!..and he, upon his will, can and will take your tackle at any given time as payment for fishing his lake!...and that is no threat, just so everyone understands the toll for a troll...LOL!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

LAst weekend out of Mex Point everyone seemed to be cordial. One comment came over chl 68 where some guy was yelling at another guy cause he felt as though he was gonna cross his copper. Might have been the same guy that you speak of. It was my first time out last weekend and although I was "in the pack" at times, I never felt as though I was a bother to anyone. I would simply adjust. I did however get cut across pretty abruptly by a boat. I hailed him on the VHF and simply asked if he was running copper in which he said no and thanked me for asking.

I have had some of these encounters late in the fall with "charter " boats. Personally i think they watch to much wicked tuna ... hahahah

You would be surprised how quick there tone and attitude changed when you pull up your lines and run right up to there bow and ask them " hay big mouth were you talking to me"? Yup real tuff from 100 yrds away. No one owns the lake! And making a living is no different then you and I enjoying our time on the water. If it wasn't for you and I fishing and supporting local tackle shops restaurants ect in the area they would have no living! Good luck fishing and don't let 1 big mouth change the way you fish.