I'm glad that I have not run into any charter boat captains like that out of Oak orchard as they seem like real good guys, If that situation had happened to me I would have been back at the dock waiting with a DEC officer for sure! there is no reason for that type of thing to go on and I'm afraid that if it goes un-reported that this idiot will continue to do this type of thing. I'm also thinking that if he keeps it up that he might just run into someone who is a little bigger and badder back at the dock who will straighten his ass out. LooseEeye's advice of fishing out of the pack is good advice!

I fished henderson last weekend and there was at least 30 boats out there from the finger to the wall.  That didn't include myself and other guys out near the shipping lanes. Whenever there is a big derby on there will be a lot of boat traffic where the fish are.  I try to stay to the outside of the pack as I have tangled lines and lost gear from guys running too close (It was my dipsys)

Alright, Ontario newb here. On a somewhat related topic, (sorry for the slight hijack), do you guys usually look for a pack of boats to join when you go out fishing? If you find yourself alone out there, is that a pretty good signal to pick up your stuff and go find where the other boats are?

Ignorant people are seldom right and seldom quiet.  Fact of life.  I've gotten a fair share of gear from my rigger cables by guys who think they can run 600-700' of copper while weaving through the pack.  They thought they had a screamer and I got a new echip. 

I avoid the "pack" like the plague out there.  Not only because of the unneeded stress and hassles that go along with it, all that boat traffic puts the fish down.  Some times it's unavoidable, but in almost all cases, you can go off on your own and find your own fish to play with.

It's sometimes interesting watching packs form,  a couple boats are fishing fairly close together, and other boats assume that must mean they are on fish and point the boat in that direction, and then more boats see the growing pack and do the same thing.

Of course, that's one of the nice things about fishing out of west end ports like Wilson, Olcott, the Oak etc, we have active silver feeding kings to play with from late April straight through the summer and they are quite literally all over the place out here feeding on the bait pods and not homing in on and concentrated in front of the spawning stream they're gonna run up til late August and September.  The only place out this way that gets really goofy like that is the Niagara Bar.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

We generally try to avoid packs of boats and we troll around every boat assumin they have dipseys and planers with 1000 ft of line out. It seems far to many people belive they can do whatever they want without consequence and frankly with my temper its better to stay away from all of them. There are fish everywhere not just under the groups of boats

If he really did say that I would have no problem mentioning on this site.  Honestly I think you should.  I know most of the captains are very respectful to other fisherman.  If they are that stressed fishing with clients maybe they should quit their jobs. 

Agreed, I'd name the guy/boat.

I also keep an old set of 10# weights and some Cannon Dual cranks on board and I'd pull gear, drop that stuff out 150' then cross his stern at about 50 feet to ask him what exactly he had to say. 

Then again, I turn into a real prick in those type of situations.

Edited by YodaMage

This person was near me I was heading north, he was to my starboard side about two hundred yards away a little forward. He hooks up starts turning my way and is yelling and waiving his arms for me to move and yelling ,couldn't hear him. I waved at him and continued north. He is differently a fly by night, captains license, he payed for it and missed out on the people person section, and what makes him a professional? The PV boat he bought? He will run into the right person on shore someday.

Edited by thork9

Well I have been having a great time in this awesome fishery and today was no exception. Caught another King with my limited experience and equipment so feeling pretty good. I did have a most unpleasant experience this evening however. Fishing with the pack off Mexico point and everyone is doing there thing when all of a sudden a most unfriendly voice yells to me in my little boat. If you cross my lines I will “sink your boatâ€. Yupp... sink my boat he said it twice. Then he called me by my actual name and said I was a punk. Now this was a charter boat who continued to lament about how he does this for a living and I am only out there for fun. Anyway I won’t tell you who it was however I am sure some of you already know who I am talking about based on his behavior. I am sure I am not the first person he was obnoxious to. Anyway most everyone else is super nice and helpful. I will say he is lucky I don’t call the police and have him arrested for threatening. They don’t take kindly to those kinda threats these days.

The part I really have a hard time with is how he knew your real name.  How is that?  A little disturbing and unsettling.  Who did he have on board?  Someone you know possibly?  Weird.

I've twice been harassed on the water by the same captain.  It soured me to the idea of ever using a charter to fish.  But, I was invited on a trip and went.  Had a very positive experience, and I realized that Captains are like all human beings.  Some of them are unfortunately a******s, but most are decent people.

The part I really have a hard time with is how he knew your real name.  How is that?  A little disturbing and unsettling.  Who did he have on board?  Someone you know possibly?  Weird.

Im the OP's name is Jack, and the the loudmouth used it more as an adjetive than a noun!

This post reminds me of the combat fishing we use to have in Rochester during the ESLO days in the late 80's.

If any one is familar with the Charlotte Harbor, you would know about the sailboat races every Sunday Morn. In the late 80's we a sailer cut a charters lines. The Charter Capt. proceded to light up the sail with a flare gun. That thing lit up as quick as you could imagine!

I find it amazing that some fishermen feel they have to fish in as tight a school as they erroneously believe the fish are in.  The best fishing is most often outside of the pack. 

I also find it amazing that paying customers would have any respect for any charter captain that lost his cool like that, regardless of the circumstances.

Tom B.

(LongLine) 

I almost flipped **** today on someone out of sandy. I set up east at 100fow- two other boats out, one coming from port the other out deep.

The guy comin from port sets up 100' N from me and decides to cut me off. I don't understand why people do that- there millions of gallons of water to fish- get off my ass!!

I remember the days of combat trolling. We were in a 14' Grunman with a 9.9 Johnson called "Lake Stalker". It was difficult to win a battle out there on that boat. We used to fish 3-5 footers on that boat if that's what it took. Ah the ESLO days. IMO Val LaBounty.

We used to perch fish in an old, and leaky 14' duracraft.  A few times we were out in the 4 footers and the wife about killed me.  That was probably one of the roughest riding boats I have ever been in.

I have had one charter captain at sodus nearly cut our gear off 3 times. All 3 times it was the same guy. Clearly he knew we were there just didn't care because we aren't "professionals"

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like you had a run in with the Killer Whale :)

I would have called his bluff People who generally have to make threats don't have the balls to do what they say. I have excellent insurance and a great lawyer who would have no problem jamming him up in court. I am a very respectfull Person who has no problem giving right of way to people . But threaten to sink me Ill drag my 15 lb ball across your spread just so I can se what flasher y our. Running.

Threatening to sink you is a little extreme, that in itself would warrant disclosure of the captain's name or boat name. There is absolutely no reason to get that bent and make threats.

Wonder what his clients thought when he was saying that??? A temper like that can't be good for business