I remember the days of combat trolling. We were in a 14' Grunman with a 9.9 Johnson called "Lake Stalker". It was difficult to win a battle out there on that boat. We used to fish 3-5 footers on that boat if that's what it took. Ah the ESLO days. IMO Val LaBounty.

LOL, combat fishing in front of Russell Station and along the mud line of the Genny! That is my childhood on our Starcraft 18 and later Four Winns 225 (Ontario Flasher). Guys screaming, the occasional flare being fired...those were the days, hahahaha! Then we'd get some fog and everyone would be blowing horns in a pack 300 boats deep and you'd hear this booming blast and the Nautilus (a 36 Searay flybridge charter out of Braddocks that was the biggest thing out there then) would emerge 200 feet from a fog back coming right at you and chaos would ensue! Thanks for bringing that up, great memories!

Edited by YodaMage

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen it both ways.  Some days, I'm the weekend warrior just putting around in my buddy's '79 Starcraft.  Other days, I might be hitching a lift with a charter captain (or two or three :) ).  Some people are just selfish (what I want is more important than what anyone else is doing) - recreational or professional has nothing to do with it.

Yesterday, I was tagging along on a charter boat fishing off I-Bay.  Two different boats ran up at full throttle (maybe 20 minutes apart) and literally shut it down in our wake, on top of our gear and set up their troll - 200 feet behind us.  I took some terrific close-up pictures of both of them - wonder if they're fellow LOU members?

It's a big lake, folks.  There's room enough for all of us.

Got to witness the boat in question that started this post last week. While coming down the salmon river and approaching the lighthouse marina, we could hear lots of loud words being exchanged. He apparently decided to park his giant boat right at the boat launch at the light house marina,(for no apparent reason) blocking anyone else from launching at 05:30 in the morning. Many boats were waiting impatiently to launch. He told them all  to "shut the F*#ck up, he pays $20,000 a year to keep his boat docked there and he can park anywhere he god da&$ wants too, and he will move it when he is ready too". This guy is totally coo coo for co co puffs. Stay far away from the MISCONDUCT boat. its not worth it. He is with out a doubt giving the charter fleet there a bad name. I feel bad for the other charters docked there, there all good guys.

I was up again this weekend and stayed away as far from Miss Stake as possible. The post about the idiot blocking everyone from launching at the lighthouse and his foul mouth comes as no surprise to me, I think it's just a matter of time until someone sets him straight, and only a total moron would pay 20 grand to keep their boat docked at the lighthouse, I'm sure a slip there for a boat his size isn't more than 1200 a season

I was up again this weekend and stayed away as far from Miss Stake as possible. The post about the idiot blocking everyone from launching at the lighthouse and his foul mouth comes as no surprise to me, I think it's just a matter of time until someone sets him straight, and only a total moron would pay 20 grand to keep their boat docked at the lighthouse, I'm sure a slip there for a boat his size isn't more than 1200 a season

Just an FYI and I'm not sure if this is how it works out there but around here some marinas want a percentage of your charter fee if you have a slip and charter out of the marina. That may be the case for him thus the 20k statement. Doesn't condone his actions, but might shed some light on where his 20K estimate comes from. Then again he could just be blowing smoke.

In this day and age I am quite surprised this guy can get away with his actions.

Spike

It def not 20000 to dock at the lighthouse,, more like 2000. I gotta say allot of hate torwards the captains it seems but i wated to share what I see day in and day out as a captain/tournament fisherman. We're out on the lake, depending on the captain, 50-150 days a year and we see allot of fighting, b1!@$ing, and just plain outright disrespect. It comes from both sides, however when I see a small boat doind dumb things I assume he or she is just green and deosnt realize their mistakes, when I see a seasoned captain do it I assume hes a d!$&. Not to say their aren't some real piece of work captians out here, but for the most part we would rather help anyone than scream, yell, and fight. Bad for business and is really just uncalled for,, we're all grown ups so we should act like it,, I can throw my hands with the best of the them but wheres that get me? 5000 in debt to my lawyer is all. I had a few boats following and pacing me the last 4 days,,, which I dont mind at all but how can i make a trun with a boat on both sides of me, or even follow and conture when fishing 73 down over 75 fow,,, very little room for error. Had to pull my lines up to 55' twice while having a little boat push me across a point while watching him snag all his gear on the bottom. I didnt't yell at him or threaten to sink his boat,, just explained to my buddy that he probably had no clue about the structer change and hopefully he remembers where thst is so it doesn't happen again. I realize not everyone has multiple 2000 electronics on their boat,, but when you see a fully rigged boat trying to push you out or even waving at you,, remeber he may be just trying to tell you about the upcoming change of depth and not all of us are trying to be a@$%&^%s. I know allot of captains and even though their are a handful of d!@*s,, theirs still allot of great guys that will help you in any way they can. I watched a tracker catch my buddies 30 boat sat,, guy must of thought he had the loc winner. My buddy pulled his spread the guy hooked on to,,, made room on one side of his boat for the guy to come get his gear back.

Last year we were on a good screamer out of Sodus. A 16-17ft older aluminum came right up to us on the side the fish was on. I didn't start laying in to him and asked what he was doing. It was their first time trolling and wanted to see the fish and what we hooked it on.I just told him to stay away until it was in the net and come back on the non dipsy side and I would show him. I told him some boats may react a little different and stay away if someone is hooked up. Glad I didn't scream his kid was with him excited about their first salmon trip. Just a rookie error and bad judgement but nice guy. Sounds like this guy this post was started about needs the stupid slapped out of him !

I had a slip at Lighthouse Marina years ago. As you can see by the posts about this "Captain" in question,he is very unprofessional at the very least! There are awesome Charters out of that marina. The management of that marina should be made aware of this guy blocking the ramp, etc. I'm sure they don't need a tarnished rep. because of one wild man. Yes, he may run into the wrong fisherman some day. The way to solve this problem guy, is to notify, Lighthouse Marina, The Coast Guard or E.L.O.S.T.A. Tight lines to all, and "Let's be careful out there!" Respectfully, Steve...........

Its a shame too about the missconduct. great vessel and the original captain the brought the boat here was one the nicest guys out there and also the guys that started me as a mate at 11 years old. can remember bringing the boat from henderson to the little salmon river on her 1st run down the lake back in about 89-90.

I'd definitely not let stuff like that bother you! Sometimes things are said in stressful situations...that are later regretted. I hate fishing in the "pack". I always try to stay outside or head for water that isn't being worked. You'll find more less-educated fish!! ;)

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

I was thinking the same thing dbutts, he is a big dude. But so am I. Luckily I have a dock up river and was already in the river on my way out to the lake. He needs a little talking to by somebody who isn't intimidated by a bully. :):ninja:

I approached him one yr. Told him we need to settle things on land before something serious hsppens. Once he seen how big i really am his bulling sh-t stopped. To be honest that's why I left that end of the lake. I didn't want to see or hear bs from this jacka$$.

I been fishing the East end of the lake for 30 years and have never crossed paths with this guy (thankfully) . I can't believe , after reading all these posts ,this guy doesn't sleep with the fishes . Like Luca . LMAO

Edited by chinook35

I've seen it both ways.  Some days, I'm the weekend warrior just putting around in my buddy's '79 Starcraft.  Other days, I might be hitching a lift with a charter captain (or two or three :) ).  Some people are just selfish (what I want is more important than what anyone else is doing) - recreational or professional has nothing to do with it.

Yesterday, I was tagging along on a charter boat fishing off I-Bay.  Two different boats ran up at full throttle (maybe 20 minutes apart) and literally shut it down in our wake, on top of our gear and set up their troll - 200 feet behind us.  I took some terrific close-up pictures of both of them - wonder if they're fellow LOU members?

It's a big lake, folks.  There's room enough for all of us.

You got pics! :yes: Also, incredibly neither one of them knew we had a fish on with your "smoothness" of the net.....

had an incident like the OP a few weeks ago at the Oak.  We  were fishing inside with the pack, and just as we passed the last few boats, we put out one of our boards.  As soon as we put it out we hook up with a king.  While keeping our east troll and getting out of the pack, we see what looked like a charter trolling towards us off our front starboard.  He proceeed to make a b line towards is, go right along side our board and call us a few names for running 1 board...outside of the pack.  he was close enough where he had to lift his dipsy rod so his line wouldn't hit our board.  (keep in mind it's also obvious we are still fighting our fish.)  Once he gets nearly directly behind us, he turns back inside towards his original line. 

Based on his "over 30 years experience" (taken from his website), I would think he would have more decency than what he had.  I'm not gunna name the Charter, but was kinda nice when I noticed the GoPro was running and cought most of the action...including the back of his boat...name and all

Edited by orangediablo

It reminds me of when I was 15 waiting in the boat at the dock for my uncle to come back with the trailer. Some guy starts threatening me cause I'm just sitting there. Finally my uncle shows up and the guy gets mouthy with him. My uncle threw him off the dock into the drink!

had an incident like the OP a few weeks ago at the Oak.  We  were fishing inside with the pack, and just as we passed the last few boats, we put out one of our boards.  As soon as we put it out we hook up with a king.  While keeping our east troll and getting out of the pack, we see what looked like a charter trolling towards us off our front starboard.  He proceeed to make a b line towards is, go right along side our board and call us a few names for running 1 board...outside of the pack.  he was close enough where he had to lift his dipsy rod so his line wouldn't hit our board.  (keep in mind it's also obvious we are still fighting our fish.)  Once he gets nearly directly behind us, he turns back inside towards his original line. 

Based on his "over 30 years experience" (taken from his website), I would think he would have more decency than what he had.  I'm not gunna name the Charter, but was kinda nice when I noticed the GoPro was running and cought most of the action...including the back of his boat...name and all

I know it wasn't me!  :rofl:

Assuming Captain oblivious, in addition to the ability to threaten the scuttling of other's boats, can read, here is a good refresher on right of way in crossing situations for him , excerpted form Boat U.S. Foundation's website at  http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/navigation_7.html

The Crossing Rule

Both International and Inland Rules state that when two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her starboard side (the give-way vessel) must keep
out of the way.

As the give-way vessel it is your duty to avoid a collision. Typically, this means you must alter speed or direction to cross behind the other
vessel (the stand-on vessel).

At night, if you see a red light crossing right-to-left in front of you,
you need to change your course. If you see a green light crossing
from left-to-right, you are the stand-on vessel, and should maintain
course and speed.