Lund 1950 Tyee or 2150 Baron

Huntfrisco

I need a walk through windshield because of playing (tubing) and bass fishing. It's tough to find a glass boat that has a straight back with the depth and width of aluminum boats.

Because of this I'm in the market for a Lund 195 Tyee or a 2150 Baron Magnum. Any info would be appreciated with regards to the ride and how the rigging 4 downriggers works out. If I choose the 1950 it will have a 175 optimax and the Baron a 200 Optimax.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Huntfrisco, I made the move from a 17' Starcraft to a 22' Islander last Spring and I can tell you there is hardly any difference either towing or launching. Like Ray K. said, there is a world of difference on the water between the two. I can now fish at times when I was blown off the water and had to stick to the harbor. Good luck on your search.

I'll try to ignore the riveted vs. welded comment.. been a Lund guy for years and honestly don't remember having to bail that often :lol: As for the two models you're comparing.. they're both awesome fishing machines and either will handle four downrigger easily. The 2150 Baron is monsterous! I'd swear that you could put my 1800 Fisherman in the back of it! We're actually looking at a late-model Baron right now as a Lake Erie/Ontario trolling machine. In my opinion.. you'll be happy with either choice. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Stinger & I went the the Syracuse Boat Show Saturday. One thing I learned was that I couldn't find an aluminm boat that handled four downriggers without lining them on the gunwales.

The only one there was the Starcraft Fishmaster, nice rig but I'm concerned about the quality. I hope to own the next boat for many years that's why I'm looking at Lunds.

Sluggo when you mentioned using riggers on Lunds were they stacked on the gunwales or on a board and how was the ride. The lunds are heavier than most aluminum boats plus the position of the driver/passenger is a bit more forward than others.

Ken.. I'm fishing out of the "old" 1800 Fisherman. The new one that they just re-introduced appears to be a bit smaller and shallower. The hull on the 1850 Tyee (or 1950) is deeper. As for riggers.. I only have two, but the Baron we're looking at has four.. all mounted on the gunnels. I'd assume that just telescoping the booms on the front ones out to the sides and running the rear ones out the back would work fine, as long as you make wide turns. Our ride is amazing for an 18' boat. We don't beat ourselves or the boat, but have fished all day in 3 to 4's on Erie and made it back dry in honest 6 footers! I've ridden in the 2150 Baron and the ride is unreal! I've never been in the Tyee, but the 1950 got to be great as well. We were at the boat show Sat. also. Lots of nice stuff there..huh? Good Luck with your choice.. Sluggo (Chris)

• 2 weeks later...

HI. I'm new to this forum; I'm from down in CT coming up in May with my 2000 Tyee 1950 to play with the salmon and walleyes (I hope). First time up, should be fun.

I run two downriggers on the gunnels (one on each side), but I've seen guys running 4 with a board across the back (Quabbin Reservoir, 18 mile puddle in central MA). I thought about it; even have a cheap board... just never set it up.

If a board was to be set up on the Tyee it would have to be done such that it is easily removable. I'm speaking for my 2000 here, but I think this is consistent. The canvas top stows just before the live wells in the rear. You have to be able to get into the live wells from time to time so you either have to mount the board high or too close to the front of the boat. If you move it more toward the front you're going to need a heck of a boom on the downrigger... you have about a foot of splash well where the motor mounts, then a foot and a half of live well.

As far as ride, I have the 200 Opti on mine. I love it. I'm sure it doesn't ride as nice as a 22 footer, but it takes long island sound and the Rhode Island shore very nicely. Sure, there are days that I can't get out... but I can trailer it any place I want to go. That's a definite advantage. The boat is heavy, trilers like a dream, rides beautifyul, handles like a dream and cruises at 30; tops out around 50. We fish, ski, tube... it does everything. And I wouldn't trade the 200 for a smaller motor... it's a lot of boat. I think it needs 200.

Oh, one other thing... a 120qt cooler fits beautifully in the back of the boat; don't even have to remove the rear seats (although I prefer it wothout the seats). Down here the 120 is great for stripers and blues; up there I imagine it would come in handy for kings. Work that into your equation if planning a board and 4 riggers.

Thanks for your input. Just ordered mine yesterday this particuliar boat is the magnum. It has a straight back so I'll probably have wait until it arrives in early May before I make my decision regarding where I'm going to mount my downriggers wether it's on the gunwales or I purchase a trolling board!

I'm considering mounting 4 riggers off the gunwales, but Im concerned how the cables will line up on the turns.

Thanks

Ken