Seneca Seneca perch ?

Seneca perch ???

I’ve been doing well with my shallow water spoon program and was wondering if anyone trolls for perch on an ongoing  basic ???  How and what they try just general info no HOT spots I know how that goes and I'm not looking to be spoon-fed just a helping hand....... Here is my plan ..... what do you think ????

Thinking about giving it a go when I first came up to this wonderful lake in 1996 all I knew was bass and such. It been a long road learning and a GREAT run didn’t have this great site then to help out and save a few $$$ along the way buying or doing what works……………with that said I going to run stinger size spoons , long leads off the riggers and if weeds are not bad a 3 color core inline board with small spoon… if I don't get bit I'll put down small plugs ....... I also have a had full of walleye type spinners that I'll add a little meat to , red worm or slice thin some salmon bait  I have........ Any ideas on this ????  If you don’t want put it out there for the world to see just PM me……

Any info I get thru a PM I’ll sit on and keep to myself……

Thanks

I've caught perch during the lake trout derby on flat lined orange jointed rapalas behind inline boards.  I like the crawler harness idea, caught many incidental perch on Erie running those off leadcore for walleyes.  I would also think about running the stinger scorpion size spoons.  Let me know how you make out.  Good Luck :yes:

Seneca south end I have getting jack perch all spring and summer ether pulling copper with a phulger 4 or dropping my leader rig with a sutton 88 on bottom in 40-46 ft and pulling out of the mud toward deeper water. Banging the weight in the mud.

I've caught perch during the lake trout derby on flat lined orange jointed rapalas behind inline boards.  I like the crawler harness idea, caught many incidental perch on Erie running those off leadcore for walleyes.  I would also think about running the stinger scorpion size spoons.  Let me know how you make out.  Good Luck :yes:

Thanks ,  scorpion size is what I ment just didn't take it far enough ....... will also give FLT smolt size ago.....

Seneca south end I have getting jack perch all spring and summer ether pulling copper with a phulger 4 or dropping my leader rig with a sutton 88 on bottom in 40-46 ft and pulling out of the mud toward deeper water. Banging the weight in the mud.

I don't have copper....... may try and run three color core off rigger and let the three color drag a bait in the mud.... !!!

Thanks

I have caught quite a few perch this year on a 3 color and most have come on the same spoon over and over I don't recall the name but it is a dream weaver ss dark purple and black with their bubble glow tape on it I could send a pic at some point if interested also get them on sticks to

Sure if its not too much trouble , what color on the stickbait ????

Thanks

Try setting up like fishing spring browns..

Joe

That's my shallow water program ALL YEAR , just don't stretch the leads as long as I have to go deeper......... so you think I'll need a 70' to 100' lead ???

Thanks

That's something to play with I have got them on short leads and long both by short I still mean 40 and 50' I think it's going to be more a speed and lure choice trying to get something they are willing to chase and catch. It's always a bonus getting those tasty things haha. I have been thinking about putting more effort into the same thing

Most of the perch caught trolling are usually "by accident" while fishing for other species and usually they are big perch. As in most perch fishing locating the schools is going to be key to anything you do. It is still a little early for the big schools of them and given recent water conditions on Seneca the increased turbidity and suspended algae concentrations may keep them deeper than usual. There should be some over near the pipes in the "muck flats" on the west side and east between where you launch and Sampson on the shelves in 20-30 or so (outside the weed beds). I think worm harnessses set up with live nightcrawlers trolled slowly like for walleyes (same family) might work despite the fact that they are probably in a transition from crabs to minnows shortly. Smaller j-7's or9's in orange or perch (the bass will hammer the blue ones) small honey bee spoons or Renegade sticks in black/silver. I'd run everything out long behind the boat and/or on boards  at a speed that will make jointed Rapalas wiggle back and forth slowly. If you can skirt the very edge of the weed beds with your inside line (s) you should find action. As with other methods for them you should work them back and forth near where you either connect with one  or think you see them on the screen (may be suspended bass in same water) rather than trolling on as we often do in trout trolling....They aren't nearly as solitary as trout can be and they spook easily in shallow water but will stay in the same general area usually. Light leader 6 to 8 lb fluoro  I know you probably know all this Ed but I'm also thinking of the new folks that might want to give it a try and serve as a start anyway.  I'd use an electric trolling motor instead of a gas trolling motor if you have one- slower and quieter. Les

Edited by Sk8man

Ed, along with what Les said, try flat lining two rods with some crank baits, shallow divers to med like the perch wee r's in that 10 - 15 fow along the edges of the weeds and you will be surprised. You can go hard core with boards but to me just flatlining the two rods gives you a quick idea if you hit the gold!

Thanks everyone !!!!!

Got me pumped up on this .......still down home but will be back up some time on Sunday ....... we'll be giving it ago next week....... any thing on time for them....early ....mid-day..... late afternoon.....

This time of year usually mainly depends on locating them rather than time of day per se but morning may be a little better without the bright sun...also depends on how shallow you are and water clarity. After the other day (algae problem) who knows what the conditions will be like. They spook easily in shallower water and in clearer water but if you are trolling out deeper and with cloudy water with a quiet motor you should be all right. They aren't real fond of muddy water either.

This time of year usually mainly depends on locating them rather than time of day per se but morning may be a little better without the bright sun...also depends on how shallow you are and water clarity. After the other day (algae problem) who knows what the conditions will be like. They spook easily in shallower water and in clearer water but if you are trolling out deeper and with cloudy water with a quiet motor you should be all right. They aren't real fond of muddy water either.

I wonder how the grate would be in that 50fow off in front of that wonderful red brick bldg would be with some soft shells Les. The good ole days.

:)  yes....57-59 ft to be exact .....good point Mike! or spikes in the Spring... :lol: sure does bring back memories.

Edited by Sk8man

for pearch and lakers, single leader on my leader rig. I keep the leaders short 6-8ft, sometimes 4ft. I bounce the lead on the bottom and drag it to cause a commotion and stir up mud. the fish come over to see what is going on, and spot the spoon or black twinminnow, and nail it.

mud puffs on bottom mean sumthing is feeding or hurt. Thats Food! If the thermocline is 45ft fish lakers46-50ft, pearch 43-40ft, smallies 40-38ft. speed .6-.8mph. My copper rig is bradied copper run by hand, with a 3.5-4ft 30lb mono leader and a "Pflueger record #4" and no weight. My late friend ran a 3way and a weight a set of flashers then a twin minnow by hand. don't forget the finger protector untill you get the callius bilt up.post-145412-0-30331100-1377527588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dick

Well I got out for a short run just before 2:30 pm gave it a go till 3ish started looking bad....... west wind had picked up so I went out deep changed a spoon or two ..... picked up a rainbow down 71' on a dirty spoon/gold back three bright dots....... looking worst and some rain coming down so I pulled up and went in........ just got boat back to camp and it cut loose .....got wetter covering boat than I did on the water...... :lol: