Seneca Seneca perch ?

I don't troll for perch often, but everytime im at Oneida I get them on rapala minnow rap 7's and even 9's...color perch of course...shad raps size 5 or 7 in jointed or not also.  I run them for walleyes and perch on a couple rods and Ive never not got a couple. Most of my spread are larger walleye cranks and that's the ony place I run a couple small ones.  The perch I get either are suspended or come up a ways as Im usually at least 5 feet off the bottom.  I troll them 2.5 to 3 there but its warmer water Id guess 2 to 2.5 on Seneca.  I think you'll catch some on small cranks for sure if you can locate some as they seem fairly aggressive.  As Les said the ones you get trolling seem to be much bigger.  I get a handful a year on Otisco with large walleye cranks and Im sure if I downsized Id get a lot more. 

justin

Thanks Justin ,

I didn't go into much detail on what I did yesterday but learned some from it....... it was FLAT , I ran three riggers with spoons , NOT stinger size next one up , I had some "pecking " going on the deepest one ( 23' ) so I increased speed so they would not have as much time to look at it....... banged bottom a few times so I decicided to fish for sliver fish time I got chased off the lake...... 

Think I'll try the sticks next time out 1 rigger , one flatline and a inline board with three colors of core.....and 40' or better

Got a No-Clue start today around 11ish........... played with the perch deal for a good hour..... in-line board /// /////???? hard to tell what's going on......flat line ....... rigger had some pecking again..... changed out sticks and put down small spoons....... then went out for some trout....... picked up a laker 37' down in the bath water !!!!!! banged a 19" salmon 61' down UV green dot alwife...... picked a 14" brown up same set-up...... then I dropped a rigger down to 71' with FLT chic ken feed.... rigger goes off...... can't move it.... head shaker like a laker... still can't move it ....gain a few feet ..... line goes slack..... bit off .....either a pike deep or that laker took the spoon way back in and finnally line got cut thru with his teeth...... anyway looks like time to call Bob up to replace some spoons that I'm down to one on.........

Here's some skaneatles perch that fellow lou member rnsurfnturf sent me a pic of today. He ended with 7 lbs of perch fillets. They look big enough to troll! Ill take my boat over n try to troll them as soon as he gets back from 8th lake so he can put me on em. I know i could jig em up but it would be fun to troll them, and i bet i get some nice smb too. Think he's been using crayfish and i have deep running crayfish cranks. We can have a perch trolling thread lol!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-13776518038889_thumb.jpg

We're going after the perch on Canandaigua tomorrow morning but taking the easy way out.....live bait :) Hopefully can find the big ladies and maybe a few smallies for fun on the ultralights. Les

Those biggest ones in the pic were 14".. dad and I had fun this am. Dropshotting pumpkinseed 2" powergrubs in 30' to 55'. Kept movin around with the troling motor. Some nice rockies saw the filet knife also...got a few yesterday am as well by myself for a total of about7 lbs filets....35' you will catch everything ..rockies smb and perch...it seemed if you kicked out to 40' and as far as65', you would get less bites however the ones you did get were big perch

Back out today for about a hour again..... worked deeper water all spoons not even a peck this time.....then went after trout..... 2 for 4 one laker and a 4# bow.... boxed the bow after a fantastic fight.....while I was working him in doubled up ....stuck that fish fast then work the bow to the net in the boat and back to the other fish but it was gone..... the bow was wraped up in the net some so I boxed him and quit for the day..... 52' on the bow dirty spoon with orange dots..... 71' on other good fish dirty spoon no dots....

I had some folks out last summer on the south end and we drifted on the N wind along shore with spinning rods.  We caught 3 big perch on a tiny "flatfish" yellow with red dots, and also caught a nice Brown off the bottom with a day glow green rubber worm.  Another day I caught a small salmon and a big perch on the downrigger right in front of the canal, on a small silver flutter spoon.  We had both fish for dinner, and the perch was much better to eat for sure.  Lots of different ways of fishing Seneca.

• 5 weeks later...