Wire Diver numbers verified with Smart Troll

We have done some tests with wire divers on #3 settings and here are the results.

Wire Diver 2mph 2.2mph 2.5mph 3mph #3 setting depth depth depth depth 100' line out 36 34 32 28 200' line out 56 54 53 49 300' line out 60 58 57 53

Thanks Matthew I am going to wright those numbers in my little book of notes, one thing I was wandering what kind of wire were you using and what # test was it (7 strand-19 strand or something else?)

any guess what the depth would be for a #2 setting. I rarely run 3..maybe att 10'? aLSO, ARE THESE WITH THE POWER RING?

Edited by Adk1

Thanks for posting the results of your test.  It seems strange that you only gained 4 feet of depth from 200' out to 300'.  It's very weird how much discrepancy there is between individuals on depth achieved with dipseys. So...by these results, a dipsey is pretty much at max depth with 200 fol.  I guess I'll stick with my 50lb power pro on my dipsey rods. I'm confident I get more depth than this...must be because it's a thinner diameter line than the wire.

I still have a basic question regarding the use of chart data: Were the dipseys run just by themselves?

In a "real life" situation there will be a lure attached by a leader of various lengths (Stickbait or spoon) or various attractors (Spin Doc, Flasher, Dodger etc.) and depending on what was attached and the way it is attached could drastically affect the chart results not to mention currents from various directions. Some of these things may pull downward or upward depending on what it is ,amount/direction of current, speed of boat interacting with those factors. I honestly think that rather than relying on the chart data that it pays to spend some time testing out your own boat with your usual setups , record the data from either going from deeper to shallower depths until you see it bump bottom or perhaps use a Fish Hawk TD for each and hope that it is more accurate than the chart. The question will still remain about the current effects though. I'm still trying to figure this out....in order to have a little more confidence in the actual running depths. Any other thoughts on this?

Matthew, great info!  Keep letting those dipseys out if you could so we can get some long lead results...

If you have the time to check these:

3 Setting out 500ft

1 setting out 350ft

1 setting out 250ft

They are my 3 favorite settings :)

Nick

What brand of reel?  Was the reel completely full?  What size diver?  What brand of Diver?  With rings?  With out Rings? The reason I asked these questions is line counters are accurate with a FULL spool not partially.  Each brand / make has a difference in counter accuracy.  Try it sometime.  I stretched out wire from a Saltist and a Sealine down the sidewalk in my neighborhood and there was a difference.  I still find these numbers off from expierence from trolling skimming the bottom for browns. 

These tests they were on Lake O in 400 FOW with no current. This same setup in 4 directions and the results were the same. A bow mount electric motor was used to fine tune the speed because it is very important to have the exact same speed with no variance, bags were deployed. Tests were done on a calm day. Marked the wire in 100 foot measured intervals from a spooling machine. The diver did not have a ring and was a #1 or 107mm equivilant. Divers were run with a 4 inch spoon. Running a dodger then the depth will be far less. As an example, once we were running a rig on one side of the boat with a mag diver plus spoon and it was running 81 feet down, on the other side of the boat the exact same setup with a flasher and it was 56 feet down. Both had the exact same amount of measured line out. 30lb power pro and 30lb wire reach the exact same depth with a diver, 50lb power pro does not achieve even close to the same depth.

Any variance in speed or direction can cause dramatically different results.

These are numbers have been recorded using very regimented tests.  

We have done some tests with wire divers on #3 settings and here are the results.

Wire Diver 2mph 2.2mph 2.5mph 3mph #3 setting depth depth depth depth 100' line out 36 34 32 28 200' line out 56 54 53 49 300' line out 60 58 57 53

these numbers up to the 200' of line out almost match the precision trolling #'s

Matt,

Great stuff - thanks so much for sharing.

I'm extremely thankful that you are willing to publish this information for free, to make us all better fishermen/women.

Cheers mate!! :beer:

-Chris

Great information! At the very least, when running high divers on a 3 setting it helps to know that letting out more than 200' of line just gets the stuff further away from the boat.