Wire Diver numbers verified with Smart Troll

We have done some tests with #1 (107mm)wire divers on #3 settings and here are the results.

Wire Diver 2mph 2.2mph 2.5mph 3mph #3 setting depth depth depth depth 100' line out 36 34 32 28 200' line out 56 54 53 49 300' line out 60 58 57

100' line out, 2mph depth 36', 2.2mph depth 34' 2.5mph depth 32' 3mph depth 28'

200' line out 2mph depth 56', 2.2mph depth 54' 2.5mph depth 53' 3mph depth 49'

300' line out 2mph depth 60' 2.2mph depth 58' 2.5mph depth 57' 3mph depth 53'

All depths were verified with Smart troll that shows live feedback of depth and temp at the lure.

Edited by Matthew

Current plays a huge roll.  Trolling off Oswego this weekend my blowback on my riggers, bend in the dipsy rods, angle of diver wire in the water LOOKED like I was trolling much faster than my subtroll was telling me.  Best guess was the upper water layers were crankin' but in the deeper water layers....not so much.  I know I was not hitting my usual depths with my divers and I dumped a 300 Copper into a mag diver out 300'......that should never happen.

Current plays a huge roll. Trolling off Oswego this weekend my blowback on my riggers, bend in the dipsy rods, angle of diver wire in the water LOOKED like I was trolling much faster than my subtroll was telling me. Best guess was the upper water layers were crankin' but in the deeper water layers....not so much. I know I was not hitting my usual depths with my divers and I dumped a 300 Copper into a mag diver out 300'......that should never happen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Welcome to our world.. Oswego rarely gives you a break in terms of current. At least inshore. Thats why its a pleasure to fish way offshore in the summer.

Current could be an issue anywhere but guys who visit from out west usually comment on how its worse.

Edited by on the lam

I don't know, we have some pretty severe currents in Olcott in many areas.  It can be insane inshore as well.  The Niagara river current travels west to east, but there are back eddies coming off the main current that are flowing east to west, both inside and outside the Niagara flow that are insane.  There are days when trolling east into it, I'll have the boat in idle and still have to put out a 28" bag to get good down speed and when you turn around and try to troll west with the current, it feels like your in the ocean marlin fishing, trolling at well over 1,000 rpms, showing upper 3's-mid 4's on the GPS SOG and still showing 1.2 or less at the ball.  There are some days when you just CAN'T troll west at all.

Tim

Tim I suppose the current is similar everywhere. .. the difference on the east end may be fishing so deep when your trying to get speed with 150' of cable out in a nasty current. But back on topic. .. diver numbers are never exact, just a starting point. I use 3 to 1 on a 2 1/2 setting on the LJ. I Start em high and work them down until they start producing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app