Shakers

Not sure if it's been discussed before but looking for your thoughts.  The last few trips, we would have a deeply hooked shaker or two that bleed all over.  We do our best to release them with the least amount of trauma, but no matter what we try or how quickly we try to get em back in the water, they end up not making it.  If you know one of these little guys aren't gunna mate it, what do you guys do?  I know getting caught with an illegal fish is no good, but I'd rather put it to good use rather than just wasting it by throwing it back in the lake.  thoughts??

If you could keep small ones that don't make it, us Pennsylvanians would keep everything and just claim it was deep hooked. :).

I certainly don't want to start any $hit, but how about when making a statement like that, don't include all of us from PA. I'm sure the locals will frown on (Take them all and don't worry about the future)

I can understand people using the excuse that it was 'deep hooked' and keeping it, but I honestly don't think many people would keep a 2# king.  I just hate putting dead fish back into the lake when I could use it on the table...

Pap, lighten up.  Big Water is from Pennsylvania, and it was a joke.

Sorry I didn't think it was a joke. I don't usually speak my mind but that hit a nerve.

Can't live if it is released to the cooler.  I have caught fish over the years with broken gill rackers, busted up jaws and all sorts of other injuries that you thought would have killed them. 

Hold it over the side for a moment or two with its head into the current, then let go.t.  Fish are hardier than you think. Most will survive.   Over the years, I've caught salmon that had their jaws in 3 pieces and some even missing eyes.  Some I've released come floating back up but when I circle & just touch them with the net, they flip over & scoot back down.  Somehow the great majority survive.

Tom B.

(LongLine)