Sandy 8/21 - my best salmon kayak action to date

Yesterday I took the afternoon off work to take advantage of the relatively calm lake forecast for salmon trolling in my kayak. I got on the water mid afternoon and didn't have high hopes for action at that time of day.

I started marking fish and bait at about 75 FOW. At 100 FOW I put my Fish Hawk TD down and found temp at about 85 feet down. I fished for a while in the 75 to 90 FOW range but couldn't get any of those fish finder hooks to bite. Someone at the launch told me that there were lots of fish in the 120 to 150 FOW range so I headed out. I landed a good steel head in 140 FOW. Wasn't marking much out there so I headed back inside where I saw bait and fish.

Caught my first salmon in 110 FOW on a flasher/fly. it was a male that was already turning brown. My Dipsy Diver was set for 85' but who knows where it actually was.. Not long after, I caught an 18" skipper on the same flasher and home-made fly in about 90 FOW. By then I was getting tired from paddling and decided to troll for another 1/4 mile before calling it quits. The same flasher/fly combo got me a 23 lb king a few minute later. Not a bad day for me pulling a single line behind my plastic craft..

Fish are turning dark. Time is running out!

100_0797_zps75ddf1b3.jpg

100_0801_zps5bd7060b.jpg

I have fished Ontario for long time, had two boats the last a 25 ft, now I fish from shore. I recently purchased a fishing kayak and have fished mendon and Seneca lake but not Ontario. I have hopes of launching at Webster park and then other spots. My question is how is the best way to dress for cold water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

... My question is how is the best way to dress for cold water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The surface temp of Lake Ontario is in the mid 70's this time of year. No special clothing is needed. I think the best way to dress for cold water is to wear a dry suit. However, I don't own one and avoid the lake until the surface temp starts to warm up.