We had a great 5 days of fishing out of Port Ontario except for the encounter with a driftboat, the theft of a rod holder off of one of my Big John downriggers and a charter out on the lake. We were fishing the same place as Buzzer and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was the same charter...

Not to mention any names but they wouldn't win any awards for being ((( MISS CONGENIALITY ))).... if you read between the lines it's pretty easy to figure out who I'm talking about and this is about as discreet as I will be about it.

It all started with the theft during the night of the 2rd day. the following day I realized the rod holder was missing,  when I brought it to my friends attention he said that he noticed it earlier but didn't say anything because he thought I probably removed it because we weren't using the 2 inside downriggers.

That evening when we came in to port there was a driftboat without any lights sitting just inside of the breakwall fishing, just as I came down off plane and started to enter the river he started yelling obscenities at me because he had a fish on that apparently decided to exit the river back to the lake.

In my opinion he shouldn't have been there without lights on in the first place anyway and how was I to know he had a fish on???

I was more than a little upset about his attitude and the language he used and I had a few choice words for him as well, my buddy and his son wanted to go back and have a talk with him but the result probably would have been painful or at the least someone swimming back to shore..

The following day we were fishing with the pack and having a great day until my friends son waved to say high to the previously mentioned charter boat only to get the finger in return... We were baffled by the response, I'm sure we didn't cross his lines or in any way shape or form disrespect him.

On the next pass of the line we were fishing we saw him again and once again my friends son waved only to receive other obscene gestures in return, OK, enough is enough so I yelled what's you problem, he replied in the same voice we heard the night before coming off of the driftboat ... you cost me a fish a#%*$*Le. we ignored it until we put 2 and 2 together and realized it must have been the same guy. on the next pass it started all over again and escalated. I don't think the captain had a charter that day because if he did he probably wouldn't have let his mate continue the harassment, my guess is that they were entered in the derby and at any cost were determined to win it, the last thing he said was ( how do you like my numbers a@&$#%%Le

Just as we decided to ignore them while passing them in the opposite direction  after his comment we hooked up,

The funniest part of it all is that it seemed that every time we started talking about the situation with them we hooked up again... go figure??? 

All I can say is that from now on we will avoid the Port Ontario harbor like the plague and can only recommend that others do the same. 

Its a  pity that the Lighthouse Marina has turned into such a neglected place, my buddy and I were talking about it and we think it would have the to potential to be a great place to launch and stay if fixed up and managed properly.

I've been fishing the lake for more than 25 yrs and never had an experience like this before and hope to never again.

Oh yea we had the best trip as far as the fishing was concerned since the Zebra Mussel messed thing up... The lake has bounced back nicely.

I'm sure there are plenty of clients or prospective clients reading this site that want to know who not to book with too. They wouldn't want to put themselves in that situation either.

Many of my clients have been on this site and some frequent it.

Sounds childish but I would be lying if i said I haven't found myself in the same position before.  I try to stay away from people but it just doesn't matter.  I always seem to end up in the way of an intolerant SOB who somehow has more rights than me, although, I don't ever see it.  It still can ruin my trip. 

On the flip side...  I did find myself getting a little bit annoyed with people at the boat launches this year.  It is not that hard people.

Sounds like I will be steering away from Oswego County.  I keep hearing things about theft and bs that goes on up there.  Makes me wonder.

It's a big JC Boat! He's rude as H_ _L! Unprofessional, and SWEARS in front of ANYONE who gets in this prima donna's way! Cover your kids ears, folks! Best of luck to all! His Charter name has nothing to do with the name of the boat. Please do not judge Charter Captain's because of this crews actions. Respectfully, SJ

Hey Yankee Troller, my guess is that he doesn't even know what a website is or is smart enough to use a computer.

I'm still fuming from the episode the other day, I'll be going back up again over Labor day weekend and will be launching out of another port, I'll probably fish the same place.

If it happens again it will all be on video and reported to the coast guard.

I have a question Buzzer, is this the same guy?

No, actually if I say who it is it could end up in a lawsuit so I suggest reading the post, it's pretty easy to figure out if you read between the lines.and be sure to keep a good distance away from the guy if you are fishing in the place as him

Well I guess I'm a dumb- butt  , did some looking for charters online out of P.O. trying to read between the lines without any for sure whom it may be.................. anyway in MHO I think your post has shot the GOOD guys that charter out of that port much as the dude you had the run in with and this whole thread should just be deieted !!!!!....... that said I'm reporting this post and hope it just goes away.......sorry  for the BS this guy gave you BUT ........

The GOOD guys who fish and charter out of Selkirk should have a word or , something , with the one who this post is about. This a*****e is giving them all a black eye and the they are the ones who should take action . That said , I must say there are lots of good guys out there . My girlfriend and I fished out of Mexico Point this AM and had a good run in with (I think ) , a charter captain . We were in a crossing situation my bow to his port side . I was just getting ready to turn to starboard and pass down his port side and behind ,when a rigger fires . Fish On .  With just the 2 of us it was getting hectic . It was an 8 # steelhead , jumping like crazy . I yelled to the other boat , and he immediatley turned HARD to port and passed down my starboard side . I yelled "thank you " and waved as he passed . We landed the fish . I didn't get the name of the boat , but it was a Penn Yan with radar dome and several people onboard . I would like to thank him again for his courtesy and most excellent boat handling .

The GOOD guys who fish and charter out of Selkirk should have a word or , something , with the one who this post is about. This a*****e is giving them all a black eye and the they are the ones who should take action . That said , I must say there are lots of good guys out there . My girlfriend and I fished out of Mexico Point this AM and had a good run in with (I think ) , a charter captain . We were in a crossing situation my bow to his port side . I was just getting ready to turn to starboard and pass down his port side and behind ,when a rigger fires . Fish On .  With just the 2 of us it was getting hectic . It was an 8 # steelhead , jumping like crazy . I yelled to the other boat , and he immediatley turned HARD to port and passed down my starboard side . I yelled "thank you " and waved as he passed . We landed the fish . I didn't get the name of the boat , but it was a Penn Yan with radar dome and several people onboard . I would like to thank him again for his courtesy and most excellent boat handling .

I haven't done much trolling amongst the crowd but I think most guys know what is going on around them and make adjustments for others just as they would want for themselves . This particular situation of the OP appears to be the opposite however, where any any other boat on the water is thought of as not a situation going on "around them" but a situation happening "to them". Sure, it would be nice to have spots to yours only but that's simply not reality. These guys need to grow up IMO. If they are going to run extreme lengths out perhaps they should post a sign on their boat indicating the line out #. ???

Edited by tugger

I know who your talking about. its actually his son who gave you the problems. I had run in with this guy couple yes back. Even payed him a visit to discuss his problem. He was more surprised I approached him. Whole new attitude from that day on. Don't let one guy ruin your days fun.

• 1 month later...

Hi Highnoon12, this is Capt. Dave, ReelSilver Charters.  I think your boat was only a few boats down from mine.  I talked to Don the owner of the marina right around the time your rod holder was missing.  When he told me about ur rod holder I kinda shrugged my sholders and pointed to my boat. I had 10 rods sticking up for everyone to see all night long for over a month. I was doing doubles every day it wasn't blowing.  I have never had as much as a splitring missing at Clarks..  I'm thinking they must have really wanted just that rod holder.  Is there anyway it fell off?  I've had big Jon holders fall off couple times, my fault, they were little loose...

Thanks

Capt. Dave