Cayuga lake, best areas for lake trout in kayak?

I want to head up to cayuga in the next week or to.   My target fish is lake trout.    I plane on trolling for the most part and thinking ill use a laker wobbler and attach a 8# fluro leader a few feet behind that  with either a night crawler or minnow.   here this works good for lakers?  also plan on jigging some

Here around this time I will need to be in deep water , near 100ft.    Not having fished at cayuga much IDK where I should start.  

Ill be using a kayak so traveling long distance looking for te deep waters isnt really a option for me.    I do have a fish finder though

So any advice on starting locations would be great.  thanks        also gear advice would be great as well

cant really afford to change my set ups so here is what I have

7'  heavy action rod with 80# braided line and a abu garcia bait caster

7' medium action with 20# mono and a bass pro bionic bait caster

6' medium action with 8# mono and a qautium spinner reel

figure I need some weight to get down to those depth so what weight would you recommand?

What size fluro leader?

what color lake wobbler and size?

etc...

thanks

Myers would be your best bet for a public launch.  But if you can (not sure of access ) go by the Cayuga AES plant and walk over tracks launch there.  Find 70 to 80 fow jig or get a number one dipsy on a 0 setting with a spoon or spin doctor fly combo and try to troll 1.9 to 2.4 mph out in front of plant  lots of fish there! Good luck

If it were me in a kayak I'd be thinking of JIGGING. You can access fairly deep water right out from Long Point State Park on the east shore. I'd go with some  1/2 oz to1 0z. white jigs and use some of the ZOOM baits (Swimmin Super Fluke, Salty Super Fluke White Pearl or Albino in about a 4-5 inch size). They are available in places like Walmart and Gander Mountain I believe. I'd look around right out from the launch ramp at the park in 80-120 ft. of water to start. Good luck with it either way. The other parks like Cayuga at the north end and Treman at the south end are too far to go to get to fishable trout water for a kayak I would think .... not sure about Dean's Cove as I've never launched there..no matter where you go wind (and direction of it) will be a major player in a kayak.

Edited by Sk8man

going to buy a line counter for sure and will pick up some more jigs thanks.  If weather is good ill most likely go on wed. Just hope it isnt windy. Last time I went we got a little wind and that caused some rough water.   again thanks alot for the advice.

should I pick up some minnows?  or just stick with the zooms?  

As far as the line counter goes....Berkeley makes a cheap line counter (goes on the rod and line runs through it but a pull on line frees it)  that could be used for something like that rather than spending money on a new reel. It is a little "bulky" but you could use it on whatever rod/reel combo you like. I think they are less than $10 or so. Might be worth a try you can take them on and off easily in seconds.

If you have a Fish Finder a line counter may be helpful but is not required... 

Depending on wind and conditions you will likely be able to stay in one spot or drift slowly and know depth based on your Fish Finder reading. 

Jigging is as simple as drop it to the bottom.... Jig as long as your semi vertical, reel in and repeat. 

That is one of a few different techniques for Jigging which are outlined well on @hermit's site here > http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php < 

Another spot you can try is by the salt plant near Myers Launch. Very accessible if you launch from Myers and sheltered from wind if its coming from the North. 

If you would like to go Jigging in a boat sometime Id be happy to show you some spots around the Myers park area that have worked for me. - Just shoot me a PM-

-Pete

If you have a Fish Finder a line counter may be helpful but is not required... 

Depending on wind and conditions you will likely be able to stay in one spot or drift slowly and know depth based on your Fish Finder reading. 

Jigging is as simple as drop it to the bottom.... Jig as long as your semi vertical, reel in and repeat. 

That is one of a few different techniques for Jigging which are outlined well on @hermit's site here > http://cayugafisher.net/pages/resdex.php < 

Another spot you can try is by the salt plant near Myers Launch. Very accessible if you launch from Myers and sheltered from wind if its coming from the North. 

If you would like to go Jigging in a boat sometime Id be happy to show you some spots around the Myers park area that have worked for me. - Just shoot me a PM-

-Pete

Thanks for the offer, might have to take you up on that some time.      

1 ounce is what I use out of the yak. And definitely a line counter if you are going to troll. Will allow you to consistently get in the right depth.

Edited by flyak