What am I doing wrong?

Ok launching out of lakefront promenade. Trolling dipsies with flashers/dodgers, spoons, flies, spin doctors and flies. Fishing from 40' to 150' at various depth. 20lb floro with a snubber for spoons on one...40lb floro no snubber on the other. Caught a 2lb chinook yesterday...didn't even trip the dipsie. Hooked a 15 pounder the other day...Lost it at the boat! Should I be flat lining the river mouth with spoons/plugs and a little weight? Can't figure this out...100.00 worth of launch fees (10 times) and nothing. Everyone I talk to says I'm using the right lures/attractors in the right area but I'm failing miserably! Is it just a matter of putting your time in or am I missing the boat? Aaarrrgghhh! Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated!

Not an expert but what speed are you running your presentation at?  Down speeds here seem to run 2.2 to 2.7 depending on preference - gps speed will vary greatly based on conditions.

Leader lengths are the first thing I think of.  I used to struggle with divers until I took some suggestions on the length of fluoro leader between diver and attractor/lure.  Length of leader from attractor to fly/etc is also important. 

No downriggers?

Down temp?  The right depth is probably the single most important factor.  I don't currently have a rigger probe, but I do have a sensor to read temp and then set my depths around the thermocline.  If you don't have riggers, you could get a sensor that will attach to a dipsy and measure that way. 

Thx for the replies. No riggers as of yet. Thought I'd get my feet wet with the divers before I tear a hole in my wallet only to find out, it's not my gig. Looking at the cannon mag 10's. I'll get them installed in the spring. No temp/speed probe...I know that there are some available for the riggers but didn't know you could attach one the the dipsie. What is the name of that one? Where can you get them? Leader lengths are as follows:

Dipsie to flasher/dodger 4-5' 40 lb floro...dodger/spin doc to flies 19"... Dodger to spoon 20lb floro c/w snubber approx 3'

GPS speed (never steady so difficult to tell for sure) 2.5-3 mph. I play with the throttle slowing down with the wind, speeding up against etc (you get the idea). I know I am fishing somewhat blind with no temp probe however you'd think I would have a few more hits after 10 shots. Oh we'll that's fishing. Let me know about temp probe and leader lengths. Thx again.

You may want to go a little deeper. Like 200+.  Also never troll in a straight line - always zig-zag.  There's been a lot of reports of short hits so definitely vary your speed.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey LongLine thx for the advise. I see quite a few posts from you on this site. You must be one of the Lake O guru's...I'm hearing you and will definitely put that into the bag of tricks. My boat is only 18' with a 115 on it...not comfortable with the size of the big O yet. I have been sort of going out a little further each time depending on the weather. I was going to head out today but decided to wait due to strong wind warnings. Better safe then sorry. Mess with this lake in a smaller boat and it could lead to a mayday situation.

On my 21' I run 2 dipsey & 2 maybe 3 rods on riggers & that is it. Feel I have been doing pretty well  the month of Aug w/ that setup.

This time of year ,  Kings, Browns & lakers are very finniky. If the table aint set right, they won't eat.

My dipseys are 65 # power pro, standard size  BLACK dipsey, 5-7'  40 big game no snubber, Spin DR/ Fly. This has accounted for about 75% of my fish the last 3 weeks. .5-2.5 setting 150 min - 300' back.180 -280 normally, let it back 150 to start & let it click slowly out till you hookup.

double wht crush glo & wht glo mtn dew w/ hipnotist or glo green fly  23"  + -  lead to flasher. My best.

Drive boat straight  w/ slight s curve while keeping tention on the rods. If you go over fish & they don't hit. Speed boat up a little, turn around & go over them at a diff angle.

Better to go a little to fast than to slow . If you turn  a lot , you will be varying your lure speed automaticly w/ long dipsey length from boat

Temp means little this time of year  & is generally overated IMO. Fish thru & below bait to the bottom. I have been fishin 70 - 120 ' 50' to bottom  the last month w/ good results,

Better to run a few rods correctly than a lot wrong.

We had the disscusion this morn on the boat that if it is slow & the fish arn't bitting that it would be a mistake to take proven lure off & put stuff down they would not hit if they were hungry. I have about 10 diff things  that work for me  & thats about it.

When I had a bad day I would go to the store & buy 50 bucks worth of new stuff when I probably had what I needed if I ran it right.

Good luck & I feel your pain. Been there done that.

Wow tons of info to absorb here Has Been! Thanks for opening up the little black book and sharing!!! Gotta tell you, I'm having a real blast being out there knowing that at any minute a rod may fire and something that can really pull my "strang" may be on the other end. Dipsies 300' feet back...makes sense being further away from the boat. BLACK dipsies? Never seen them on the racks...Great...now I have to go get more. I see a 50.00 trip to the tackle store in my future! Hoping to get out again later in the week (depending on weather). I'll put all the tips on the deck and let you know how I make out.

Nice! I have a clear one...remarkable! I have a black one but it has what looks like an orange fire tiger pattern on top. Contemplating the spray paint idea...or maybe black Gorilla tape. Weather looks grim this week. Hopefully wind,waves and rain will die off...then back to the hunt for red October or what more realistically seems like...Jimmy Hoffa...he's out there somewhere!

I used snubbers untill i got out on the charter boats. None of the pros use them. Use longer leader, 7' is ideal dipsey to flasher 3' from flasher to fly etc. Run around 190-240 ft of line out on #1 dipsey setting. Play your rods for speed, put a good bend to them but don't go crazy. Loosen the drag until it starts taking out line then tighten untill drag is no longer running out. That should get you in the 2.0-3.0 down speed. Better to be a little faster than slower, if too fast your chancer of hookin up with a king won't be so good but a steelie will always chase the fast troll. good luck

Not sure what part of the lake you are fishing but for the past couple of weeks in Sodus the fish have been out much deeper in the lake and have been down much deeper. We have been catching them in 200 - 500 feet of water about 110 feet deep. If you dont have wire or braided line going to your divers you are not getting deep enough to catch the fish and are pretty much wasting gas. Maybe the fish are staging shallower in front of the Salmon river if that is where you are fishing??? Don't know about that.

Larson,

To fish Lake O you need basic equipment:

1) Depth Finder/ GPS Combo or a finder and a separate GPS and a Temp/Speed.

It is very important to first locate fish or bait, (to do this you need a probe that shows you where the thermocline is (50-55 degree water), how deep the fish are and the speed you are running at your downrigger ball.

2) You need at least 2 downriggers (preferably 3). More fish are caught on spoons then flies in most cases. This also gives you more depth variety and easier to adjust depths when you locate the fish.

3) You need at least 1 rig with at least 400' of copper, at least 3 or 4 wire with 10' - 12' poles, 1 or 2  (10) color lead core set ups and a good set of boards. This allows you to cover more water at a variety of depths.

This may be a little overwhelming and you can get away without copper, maybe just 2 wires (however if something happens to a wire you are down to one rod) also 2 riggers and one lead core. We have not even discussed flashers, flies, spoons or dipsys. All I can say is leave it basic.

You may toy with poles and line but you need a way to locate fish, find down temp, maintain down speed, run a variety of spoons and cover more water is essential. It all depends on your cash flow so you walk before you run but have fun. Do not get discouraged even if you drop a few, just think how much fun it was fighting them.

You may wan to do a couple of charters in your home port and read these posts on fish reports and ask questions. There is a variety of topics, read them all.

Shade

Edited by Shade

Hey Shade,

Thanks for the advice. Haven't fished for salmon on lake O in 25 years. I just bought a couple of 10' dipsie rods, line counters and a handful of dipsies, flashers, spoons, flies etc to get my feet wet and see if was something I would get into....I have! Next spring I will set the boat up with a couple of riggers c/w probe etc. I have finder and GPS but only surface temp as of now. Fishing out of a 18' boat and most of the time I'm solo or my wife will come out. 15 rods with planners etc seems a bit crazy right now. Trying to keep it simple so as not set off the Chinese fire drill, tangle lines or possibly foul other boats. I know my chances decrease drastically with less in the water however i find this lake and all the experience needed to catch fish consistently is like eating an elephant...one piece at a time. I'll take any advice and tips people will offer, put some time in on the water and slowly learn. Charter is definitely something to consider. Thanks again

YES Larson keep it simple. If you are alone you can only run 3 rods, with your wife , assuming she has a license, you can run 6 rods maybe to many for an 18' boat but 5 is doable. Two riggers, 2 wires set on 2.5 and a lead core down the shoot. Keep your turns wide and you wires depths about 10' ( ex. set one at 180' back and one at 210' back depending on thermocline) along with a ten color lead core which will be around 50' down. Mount your riggers as close to the edge as you can and swing the arms at 3 and 9 o'clock for maximum spread and learn to run cheaters off them. Good Luck...have fun

Shade

Running 4' of 40lb floro to flasher/dodger and 4' of 40lb floro to spoon on first set up

2nd - 4' 40lb floro to spin doc or flasher/dodger and 19" to fly

Trolling 2.5-3 mph

Dragging 60-180 FOW at various depths

Hoping to get out this weekend to try everyone's tips and redeem myself but the weather man is calling for thunderstorms. Praying for decent weather. Is the fishing still good through sept/oct?

Im usually in the streams by Oct.. this is my first yr trolling. Just got the boat this January... drifted on the bar all winter for Brown's. Steelhead and Lakers.. my wife got the biggest so far 32'lb laker on a quickfish

Sent from my Torque using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Where u coming from? Seems from Oswego west to the Niagara river fishing in 90 to 130 or so has been the numbers to hit. So pot luck im guessing im going out of olcott sat to mon unless weather keeps US off shud b good fishing

Sent from my Torque using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Down temp is very important, I would suggest looking at smarttroll.com and get some probes for your divers that give you live feedback. Water changes as you are in motion so live feedback is a must.

Do you use a kicker motor?  I noticed a disclaimer saying when a motor is ran over 800rpms that it interfers with the unit.  Have you had an issue? Seems kind of pointless to have a unit that won't work with a kicker motor.

Fluffed off work and went out yesterday...used everyone's tips and tricks. Action was fast and furious for about an hour and a half then just stopped (11:00 am - 12:30). Poked 4 shakers one after the other. Caught 2 screamers (maybe 20lbs). Lost 2 more big fish at the boat...spit the hook. Man that's a chore netting bigger fish with longer dipsie leads by yourself! Yikes! Shakers on black/purple spoon behind small chrome flasher-bigger fish on purple fly behind glow/chrome dodger. Dipsies out 200' and 250' over 205 FOW. Wow...now I see why you guys head out on Lake O. What a blast! Went to the mouth of the Credit. Big fish swelling/jumping everywhere. Huge tangle with the dipsies thanks to last lost fish. Thx for all your tips and advise. Getting the hang of it now! What's with the little house flies that bite?