Went Trolling today

dieselhp

The lake had a good coat of ice on it today. I took my rod and went down to the shore. Spent a few hours casting my lure across the ice without a hit. A nice guy pulled up on a snowmoblie and asked I was getting anything. I told him no. He told me to hop on the back and we will troll. Still nothing! The good thing is he didn't wan't gas money. I guess I will go to work.

I'm board

The lake had a good coat of ice on it today. I took my rod and went down to the shore. Spent a few hours casting my lure across the ice without a hit. A nice guy pulled up on a snowmoblie and asked I was getting anything. I told him no. He told me to hop on the back and we will troll. Still nothing! The good thing is he didn't wan't gas money. I guess I will go to work.

I'm board

Did you graph anything at all?

Just Fishin

Admit it, it' true

Sliderman

We were picking up all kinds of marks. I think the bad luck was due to the wind, moon, troll speed or direction or maybe just my state of mind knowing that when I came off of the ice I had to go to work.

I tried the bags, but all it did was leave a trail in the snow and you know that you dont want to do that. Then everyone will know where you are and what you tell them on the radio would have to be the truth!

Then everyone will know where you are and what you tell them on the radio would have to be the truth!

Dont care who yar, thats funny right there......GOOD ONE! ;)

O.k back to the MARKS ...did you find that the majority of them

were suspended in the water column or throughout? I'm assuming

that there's gotta be some kind of thermo setup in that depth of water.....

One more thought.......... I've run BAGS also in a similiar situation that you were in and you're right they just drag behind you......how do you get

them to open up?..........I think you were trolling too slow....maybe you should pick it up a bit :mrgreen: Open that sled up next time!

Sliderman,

Evidently you are a newbe @ this ice trolling. I don’t mind helping someone that is what this board is about, fishermen helping fishermen and having a good time doing it. Anyway just like open water trolling for any species of fish you have to do a few things.

Go with what worked for you in the past. If this is your first time use what you learned that cold winter day when you making love to you couch and fondling your remote (watching a fishing show) and try what that fishing pro (A person who gets paid to do what you love to do and gets all his tackle and boat for free) showed you. The problem with that is most time the TV pro wants you to buy that lure so he can continue getting paid. But those new lures will work if the conditions are right. Just like any lure in your box will catch fish. With that said you must experiment with different lures, speed, depth etc… Use common sense and don’t be afraid to try things even if you think a setup you are using looks stupid. A stupid setup may catch you a ton of fish. Whether it did or didn’t just make sure you take it off of your rod before you get back to shore. If that setup is on your rod when you get back you know everyone on shore will be laughing at you and they will try it the next time they are out and not catching anything. Anyway go north for a while, turn east, or west then south, zig zag, go in circles and pay attention to what you were doing when the fish hit and do it again. Take notes on air temp, wind direction, how much line you had out, what color lure and speed. Write it down for next time when you have the same conditions. Unlike open water trolling you never have to worry about ice temp. That is one thing that is always a constant, its cold! Back to the common sense thing, if it wasn’t cold it wouldn’t be ice. The ice is very important; there are different types of ice and ice conditions. Sometimes the ice is smooth, sometimes it has bumps, thick ice and thin ice.(Thin ice stay home) each day can be different. Try different things and talk to people on the shore. Invest time and one day you will be that guy at the shore with the cooler full of fish.

Now to answer your questions:

Quote: I'm assuming that there's gotta be some kind of thermo setup in that depth of water.....

Answer: Yes there is a thermo setup, its ice so that means it’s frozen the fish will be under the ice

Quote: O.k back to the MARKS ...did you find that the majority of them

were suspended in the water column or throughout?

Answer: There is no water column, its ice so that means it’s frozen

Quote: I've run BAGS also in a similiar situation that you were in and you're right they just drag behind you......how do you get them to open up?

Answer: In sled ice fishing we use a different kind of bag, its called a auto open ice trolling bag as seen on TV

Quote: I think you were trolling too slow....maybe you should pick it up a bit Open that sled up next time!

Answer: As everyone knows you only open it up for the ride in or out. Even if you are only going 100’ from shore you have to go full speed.

Hope this helps

Rick

dieselhp,

Its obvious you've spent alot of time at this.....you dont see to many fisherman ice trolling and

the ones that do are pretty tight-lipped about it........

I wouldnt consider myself a newbie at this, but I do have

questions about it and hopefully with your help.......I can HONE my

techniques...

Sliderman,

I just started this type of fishing not that long ago. The best advice I can give you is get a charter sled to take you out. Pay attention to what is going on and where to troll. One little trick I have used in the past and this works on open water also, is to bring a hand held GPS with you and mark way points when you hit fish. Now if you paid attention

On what to do and how to do it, you now have some hot spots when you and your buddy go out. A charter sled is well worth the investment.

Check out the link below and find out why I switched to sled trolling.

Good luck

Rick

Sliderman,

I just started this type of fishing not that long ago. The best advice I can give you is get a charter sled to take you out. Pay attention to what is going on and where to troll. One little trick I have used in the past and this works on open water also, is to bring a hand held GPS with you and mark way points when you hit fish. Now if you paid attention

On what to do and how to do it, you now have some hot spots when you and your buddy go out. A charter sled is well worth the investment.

Check out the link below and find out why I switched to sled trolling.

Good luck

Rick

I UNDERSTAND NOW...........Its better to keep moving......trolling definately seems it would be safer.