Out pre-dawn Saturday and didn't move a rod until 9 or so. Running a variety of spoons and a 6" Ito behind a green SD. Eventually the fly began to get some action 120 down over about 335fow. Ended up 1 for 4, boating a 4 lb skipper and losing a screamer after about 15 minutes. Had to run back in around 10:30 as the fuel tank was running pretty low. I knew I forgot to do something on Friday. The spoons never even had a release. Ran everything from carbon 14, nuclear purple, monkey puke, 42nd spoon and a moonshine fire tiger that had done a little damage during the week as well as a few others. That one fly did everythhing.

Sunday was a different story. Best of all I had gas. Started out at 150fow and worked out. Still had good temp at around 120fow down. Had a hammer fly and the same green 6" Ito on the riggers at 75 and 120 and two dipseys out 250' with a nuclear green Stinger and a mag NK. Both dipseys on 1. Not much happening besides one drop so changed a dipsy to 2.5 setting and put on a mag money NK over 300fow.That spoon had to be in 63 deg of water but it lit up almost imediately. Missed a couple of fish and picked up a steelie then Gina got into a 25lber. While the 25lber was being fought, I dropped one fish on the Stinger and landed one on the hammer fly. Picked up another skipper later to go 4 for 7 including one dropped fish that felt pretty good. Amazing how the flies got the only action on Sat and only 2 hits on Sun. The NK mag money took 4 of the seven hits today, one of my personal favorites. It's not always hot, but somedays it saves the day.

post-149548-0-77851900-1377464498_thumb.jpg

good job   we fished hard this weekend both morning and afternoons and had very liitle action.  we boated only 5 kings total.  acouple steelhead 1 brown and a couple lakers   we worked from 85' out to 600'   tried spoons and sd and flies.  we ran meat flies and meat rigs behind e chip boards also.   just couldnt get any consistant action.  was a very humbling weekend thats for sure.  

Late August fishing is this way nearshore with staging fish... The subtleties of speed and direction lead to the presentation being correct or incorrect, temperature no longer matters and more importantly.... EVERY day it is new and different even in stable conditions... the same stuff no longer works each day and what worked from July 15 thru Aug 15th needs to be wiped from your brain... these fish are merely biting out of aggression now, so they need to be agitated, break out the uglier color patterns, stuff you have not run in recent memory.  Inside of 200 fow do not be afraid to fish the screen wherever the marks are... if there is nothing on there...find 60 degrees and fish 15' above it, find 50 degrees and fish at it and find 42 degrees and fish in it... spread out your target column.. generally the more active fish will be the warmer water fish... if you want to keep doing what worked all summer, then target the offshore waters (350' and beyond) for next year's fish and you should be successful.

Late August fishing is this way nearshore with staging fish... The subtleties of speed and direction lead to the presentation being correct or incorrect, temperature no longer matters and more importantly.... EVERY day it is new and different even in stable conditions... the same stuff no longer works each day and what worked from July 15 thru Aug 15th needs to be wiped from your brain... these fish are merely biting out of aggression now, so they need to be agitated, break out the uglier color patterns, stuff you have not run in recent memory.  Inside of 200 fow do not be afraid to fish the screen wherever the marks are... if there is nothing on there...find 60 degrees and fish 15' above it, find 50 degrees and fish at it and find 42 degrees and fish in it... spread out your target column.. generally the more active fish will be the warmer water fish... if you want to keep doing what worked all summer, then target the offshore waters (350' and beyond) for next year's fish and you should be successful.

Hans is on the money,

This is why I fish offshore this time of year. I cannot stand combat fishing in the shallows this time of year so I like to focus on the deep waters.

Good luck to all,

- Chris