Action out from Hughe's Marina 8-25-13

It was a long day at the "fishing office" (about12 hours of trolling) on the Admiral Byrd boat with Bob and Scott but totally enjoyable complete with continuous b... busting the whole time and step-by-step instructions from both for how to land a salmon in one easy lesson as well as the finer points of setting your drag properly (while in the midst of fighting the fish) and netting the fish :lol: The radio chatter  for most of the day  suggested that even many of the "big boys" were struggling to get the fish they were marking to hit anything they could throw at them.

We put in at Hughes and motored out to about 200 ft or so before we marked a few worthy specimens and tried to find active fish without success out to over 400 ft. with one hit that was gone before the rod was touched. We trolled in and out of depth marking fish at about the 100 ft. range most of the time or up so high that we figured they might be carp or something :) . We went NE to about 700 plus picking up one15 lb king in the process in about 400 something ft. on a wonderbread E chip with white fly at 340 back. There were lots of intervals of time and space without marks of any kind on the screen but we had a couple brief hits along the way with nobody home. This went on for the entire morning and into the afternoon. We then trolled inward to see if hey were in closer and marked intermittent fish at about 100 ft.down. When we got into the 230 ft plus range. We had some real nice hits which stayed on just enough to get to the rods then gone and a couple we had briefly on the line coming in then off.  Everything came on flasher/fly or Spin Doc/fly. They wouldn't touch spoons on downriggers (or anything on them for that matter) so we tried a leadcore with just the wire rigs and never had a touch on the core/spoon setup. Still at about the 230 ft range the wire down 340 with the wonderbread E-chip/ white fly really took off with about another 150 ft of line and it was "game on". It was evident right fromthe start it was a decent king and everything went fine until he got close to the boat and saw the net. He then tried every trick in the book to get off...heading toward the prop,  trying to outrun the boat, sideways runs etc. and heading for the bottom while trying to net him. After the 5th attempt Bob skillfully netted the 25 lb plus King with Scott driving and busting him all the way along :) Bob managed about a 9-10 lb laker on the way back in.  We posed for pics but couldn't do all three of us at the same time so had to take separate pics with the fish :lol:

post-145411-0-96603900-1377519351_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-24231000-1377519373_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-76322500-1377519387_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-17564900-1377519413_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Pretty good. You don't have to go as far out or take as much time as at Sodus Point to get into fishable water but tighter quarters in the channel and marina itself if you have a large boat.

Pretty good. You don't have to go as far out or take as much time as at Sodus Point to get into fishable water but tighter quarters in the channel and marina itself if you have a large boat.

That is good stuff right there, congrats SK8man!

Hi les I was out yesterday had on king about 23lbs he hit a moonshine down about 100 over 130.Other than that it got to be a expensive day my wire broke and I lost a new sd and fly and also the dipsy I think it,s time for some new wire we went out to about 240 marked a lot of stuff east of the channel but no taker,s.better luck next time.

Man...sounds like a rather frustrating day Mike. The "king thing" can be expensive...been there done that too many times .. but not quite as bad as hanging up 2 15 leader rigs of Sutton's on the barge cables on Seneca  and having to cut the wire with 30 Sutton's and 30 bead chains etc. in the old days :lol:  All part of the game I guess. You'll make up for it next time in the way of results I'm sure....it was a  pretty tough day out there for most folks along the south shore from what I was hearing on the radio. Fish were really scattered and some in pretty close in cooler water....we apparently didn't go in close enough to start out and really had to work for the action out deeper. This is the nature of things at this point in the seasonal cycle though...every day is different and you pretty much have to start from"square one" each time out. Good luck bud. Les

Edited by Sk8man

Sounds like the same stuff that goes on in the Blue Ghost :) it sucked to have to pull lines for a family emergency only an hour in but that is life. Went 1/1 with a 23lb female frog spin doc /frosted Willie fly 90/225 on the rigger. Was on a real good screen with hooks and bait when we pulled :( btw Davey did a good job on the net minus the bent handle at the end ;) good crew and good times on a shortened trip

1st time that I personally have fished salmon with enough bites together that I could honestly feel good about changing colors and lures to increase my chances. Thank goodness we have had all these years of ball busting expierence to keep us awake the other 10 hours --- it don't get no better than this. Kevin, tell Dave I think we all tweak a net once.

nice report Les. At least the lake was cooperative this weekend. Glad to see you got out up there.

Temperature out of hughes sunday varied alot.You could be running 50 and then have it got up in the sixties Salmon fishing can be frustrating but it is worth the time spent.Keeps me coming back since the early eighties.Wonder if any out there tried copper suttons.Thats what everyone used when the kings were deep and spread out.Except for two lakers  I didnt land any salmon sunday out of hughes.I did have one almost spool me on a diver.Some charter guys did pretty good but they werent fishing solo.