To Reel or Not to Reel

I have manual riggers... we'll only bring a rigger up if that's where the bite came from, and only if I'm not running a stacker.

If it's a dipsey fish or one off a stacked rigger, the riggers stay down and we'll work around them to net the fish.

For spring browns, I run everything off the big boards (the riggers stay home). With everything way off to the sides, no need to bring anything in.

Really never a need to bring rods in- move one or two to the side. The only issues I ever have is when new people are on fish and they slack up at the boat to try to take a look at the fish. If I'm out with people that know what's going on never a problem. You should be able to steer the fish right into the corner you want to net it.

Btw 4 riggers 2 wires and a wildcard rod down the chute

First thing I do is get slack out of line as quick as possible , then put my finger on the spool & lock them up. If he's a good one I kind of know at that point. I lose way less fish if I Clear at least some lines & slow the boat down as much as possible. Find it not as much fun dragging them behind the boat at 2 mph .

Here goes lots good advice u just got. 30 plus yrs. trolling leave your lines in. I always turn on big fish sometimes have to pull dipsey out on one side fish dictates what u do. When u turn on a fish u can controll him better. U have less line out. We've all lost fish because of slack line or call it belly. When u turn on a fish u can keep him on one side the slow side. Good time keep eyes on other rods because now your other lures have sped up and climbed higher in the water. Plugs will dig deeper. Also when u turn it tells other boats what your doin. And keeps your boat between your fish and there boat not there boat runnin over your fish. Best practice for this Niagara bar springtime. This subject could go on and on no real bad way. The fish wil tell u what to do. Some come in hot. Always move your rods to open up bac of the boat as mentioned earlier. Again depends on boat/ beam/ rigger lay out. I hav 4riggers don't use 4all the time. Good luc cdq's dad.

HI HERES MY 2 CENTS. IF YOUR NEW TO THIS DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND BRING EVERYTHING UP TO YOU LEARN AND GET EXPERIENCE . BELIEVE ME ITS A LOT EASIER AND QUICKER TO RESET THAN DEAL WITH TANGLES AND RETYING . I WOULD SUGGEST ALWAYS BRINGIN UR COPPER AND DIPSYS UP NO MATTER WHAT. I HAVE BEEN WORKIN ON BOATS AND FISHING UP THERE SINCE 1979. FOR EXAMPLE IF I RIP EVERYTHING UP. I CAN HAVE 4 DOENRIGGERS BACK IN THE WATER IN 5 MINS.. THE COPPER AND DIPSYS TAKE A FEW MORE . HERES A LITTLE HINT LETTIN DIPSEYS OUT. YOU DONT HAVE TO THUMB IT FOR 2  TO 300 FEET JUST PICK THE SPEED UP A HAIR AND LET IT OUT WITH YOUR DRAG SET ON THE LOOSE SIDE SO IT GOES ON ITS OWN AND DOESNT GET BIRD NESTED UP.  THIS WORKS I HAVE CAUGHT NETTED LANDED MORE SALMON THAN GUYS HAVE HAD ON. AND WHEN I AM FISHIN A DERBY EVERYTHING CPMES UP AND OUT EVERY TIME. I MEAN I LEAVE GEAR IN FOR A BIT WHILE FISH IS  SCREAMIN IN CASE I HIT A SCHOOL.  ITS WAY TO EASY FOR A MONSTER TO GET BOTCHED UP IN RIGGER LINES  DIPSY LINES LURE LINES WHATEVER. THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS TO LOSE A FISH THAT WILL GO ON THE BOARD CAUSE OF A FEW MINS TO RESET.. JUST MY OPINION BROTHER. BUT I HAVE TRIED IT ALL AND IF YOU WANT TO PUT FISH IN THE BOX THIS IS THE WAY TO GO..  

i fish solo alot and leave the rods in except if is a big king.Usualy a king will run itself out of energy and come along easily to the net,sometimes they dog it and never wear out.every fish is different.Ive caught large lakers and never pulled a rod.browns the same.I sort of play it as it comes.

Tend to agree w/ clearing everthing w/ a big fish on . I can have the fish in the boat in less than half the time & way less fish/equipment lost.Seems that I am always manuvering around somthing when I have stuff out w/ a big king & it's more fun to play the fish instead of fighting the boat.I find that when I leave stuff out w/ a big fish on I have to drag him around till its dead so release is less successful. If stuff is out & they are green , they always seem to go for the riggers/lines .I can reset in less than 5 minutes so I feel I actually save valuable time.

I think it is still a judgment call and selectively clearing lines for a big roaming king to create a space or "channel" to guide him into isn't a bad idea especially for smaller boat situations. It usually isn't necessary to clear all lines as a rule. "Hanging" downrigger weights near the water doesn't help most situations either :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 months later...

Leave them in. Move them to the side if you need to. Fishing solo last year I had a solo triple on Lake michigan. The key is just keep the boat straight when fishing a fish. If a fish darts to the outside the turn the boat slightly to get him back to the center. A lot of guys will run a rod down the chute, my opinion is to not run one. We boated over 300 fish last year. Only lost 2 fish to tangles.

• 2 weeks later...

If you start pulling lines and don't have (for example: a tripped dipsey) all the way in when a fish gets close.  That's when you're in trouble!!  I leave them in and play the fish down the chute.  If i was running a chute copper...that would have a pike bobber attached and be let way back to make room. 

90% of the time we leave the rods in the water, even in tournaments. When you hit a fish, there's a greater chance that other fish will hit. You may be in a good zone, and getting that extra fish could win the tournament. We do however watch our lines and pull those that could threaten landing a big fish. We never reel in all the lines, that's totally not necessary, especially if you're rigger lines are still down.

Edited by markbellino

• 2 months later...

Neutral is like tightening drag while you fight.Dont do it. Dont be to fancy either.change holders and figure out how to get them in. Two guys six lines i can tell you how many quads weve had. Two on both sides and no one drivin in three footers. Thats heaven baby. Wish i was there now.

Gotta agree with most of these guys,

We run 4 riggers and three dipseys and we will move rods around and usually only clear a rod if necessary for easier netting. Due to boat design we have to net on a side of the boat so we will make a space and slowly turn the boat that direction to keep the fish where we want it. However a big fish at boatside can make a quick mess of everything if he makes a run under the boat or towards the riggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I too, run 4 riggers, 2 wires, and a copper down the chute, and only reel lines in if it is a big, uncontrollable King, and then usually only the copper down the chute.  Sometimes the wires come in as well, but the downriggers always stay out, on my boat.  I have an 8' beam, and steelies get forced right up the chute and in, with no lines in.

And that's when he's fishing by himself ..... Shhhhhhh