What you consider to be a Lake Ontario Trophy

Just looking for feedback on what the consensus may be on what a trophy fish starts at for each species.  Kings, Coho, Browns, Steelhead, Atlantics, and Lakers.

I caught a fish this weekend that would have placed in the LOC top 10 for certain (in it's class, had I actually entered).  It was considerably larger than any other I had caught before.  Given that, I rushed it to the taxidermist but have been somewhat mixed about that decision since.  This site can make it difficult to judge what a true trophy is.  Obviously it's often the largest fish that are reported.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Edited by MadPerry

Just looking for feedback on what the consensus may be on what a trophy fish starts at for each species.  Kings, Coho, Browns, Steelhead, Atlantics, and Lakers.

I caught a fish this weekend that would have placed in the LOC top 10 for certain (in it's class, had I actually entered).  It was considerably larger than any other I had caught before.  Given that, I rushed it to the taxidermist but have been somewhat mixed about that decision since.  This site can make it difficult to judge what a true trophy is.  Obviously it's often the largest fish that are reported.

Any and all opinions welcome.

For me a trophy fish may not be how big, or the species, but more about the experience, Such as the people your with, or the tale of the story.

For me a 30 lb silver king would be a mounter. I've caught many over 30 and 1 over 40 in 18 mile creek but since I've been back at the lake fishing the Tyee has escaped me.

Browns 15 lbs

Steelhead 14 lbs

Laker 24 lbs

Coho 12 lbs

Atlantic any as they are a beautiful fish.

For me a 30 lb silver king would be a mounter. I've caught many over 30 and 1 over 40 in 18 mile creek but since I've been back at the lake fishing the Tyee has escaped me.

Browns 15 lbs

Steelhead 14 lbs

Laker 24 lbs

Coho 12 lbs

Hey King, at the begining of the year i saw you were thinking of selling your rig, are still going That direction? that is one sweet ride!

When it was in winter storage I had it up for sale hoping to get a 19-20 aluminum to replace it. As soon as I took her out I realized I can't sell. I have her set up almost perfectly now and will never get as much boat for the money. Thanks for the compliment

Yup I cant say that I blame you,good decision, I have a 20 fter thats real easy to handle at the dock and trails super easy but still would like to step up a notch. let me know if you ever change your mind, or want to trade! did you put a new auto=pilot on her?

No autopilot yet. Have to rely on my son and grandad to keep her straight. I booked a trip to Chicago for my wife and I to celebrate her 30th birthday. Bears game @soldier field, sight seeing, and great food/ beer. That'll soak up a few thousand right there.

Ya i hear that, i use the auto bunge when out alone,other then that one of my buddies with a hangover! Keep clubbin the kings before the combat fishing starts, good luck.  can;t beat da Bears

For me a trophy fish may not be how big, or the species, but more about the experience, Such as the people your with, or the tale of the story.

That was part of the equation. I was out with Dad, whom I may only get a chance to fish with once a year typically. Fishing was slow on a gorgeous day, but we both boated a quality fish.

Trophy sized and taxidermy sized could be 2 different things.

Taxidermy sizes for me would be:

King: 40

Brown: 18

Steelhead: 20 (caught 1 @ 21lbs a few years ago that I wanna have replicated)

Laker: mehh...

Coho: 15

Atlantic: 18

Sheephead: all are trophies

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Browns 15 lbs

Steelhead 14 lbs

Laker 24 lbs

Coho 12 lbs

I pretty much agree with this although I would look for a bigger Coho, I like the Cohos when they enter the river and get that nice Pink side. They look very nice once they start to turn.

I agree they are ball park what I would consider trophy.

I set the taxidermy bar high f or myself because I could be in a situation where id have to chose between 500 worth of neat shiny new fishing gear or a fish I could put on the wall to look at.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

trophy fish  i would have to go with it is what you think is a trophy it does not matter if it is 40 lbs  or 4 lbs   for everyone this will always be different  some of us if lucky get to fish the big lake a few times a year  over a lifetime  some of us might be able to make 1 or 2 trips  it all in what you consider a trophy  do not let other dictate what a trophy fish for you should be 

Here are my minimums for a wall mount. All of these figures are with in reach in Lake Ontario.  I would love a 40lb king but how many legit 40lb kings are really caught out of Lake Ontario? 

King - 35lbs

Coho - 18lbs

Atlantic - 15lbs

Steelhead - 16lbs

Brown - 15lbs

Lake Trout - 20lbs. 

Edited by GAMBLER

Do not have a King on the wall yet.(biggest to date is 35lb 7oz. Would like to get that magical 40 for a mount. I do have 4  other mounts on the wall and they are as follows:

Steelhead- 20 lb 1oz

Brown - 17 lb 4 oz

Coho- 18 lb 5 oz

Atlantic- 17 lb 1 oz

The Atlantic and Coho were both caught in 2011. We actually thought we had a great Steelhead for the fall LOC as the fish jumped a couple times. Slid the net under it and was thinking we were gonna be leading the LOC steelhead. Was taking the hook out and said "aw crap" the wife was like, what's wrong. I replied, its not a steelhead but that is the biggest Coho I have ever seen. Mount turned out great. Lot of fun memories from that day.

Do not have a King on the wall yet.(biggest to date is 35lb 7oz. Would like to get that magical 40 for a mount. I do have 4  other mounts on the wall and they are as follows:

Steelhead- 20 lb 1oz

Brown - 17 lb 4 oz

Coho- 18 lb 5 oz

Atlantic- 17 lb 1 oz

The Atlantic and Coho were both caught in 2011. We actually thought we had a great Steelhead for the fall LOC as the fish jumped a couple times. Slid the net under it and was thinking we were gonna be leading the LOC steelhead. Was taking the hook out and said "aw crap" the wife was like, what's wrong. I replied, its not a steelhead but that is the biggest Coho I have ever seen. Mount turned out great. Lot of fun memories from that day.

this is about where I am at except the coho being bigger

this is about where I am at except the coho being bigger

i agree with you madPerry, given your current situation sounds like you made a great decision! out with your pop,both of you landing a fish. than add a beautiful day. Sounds like a trophy to me. Nice work!

Taxidermy sizes for me would be (Personal Record included):
King: 40 (PR 35)
Brown: 25 (PR 11, don't fish them)
Steelhead: 25 (PR 19)
Laker: 30 (PR 21, don't fish them either on purpose)
Coho: 25 (PR 19)
Atlantic: 20 (PR 16)
Pike: 30 (PR 18)

Musky: 40 (PR 14, accidental catch in 1000 Isles)

Smallmouth: 8 (PR 5.5)

I don't fish for anything else in NY that I'd mount. In most cases, I ain't that close, lol.

That's enough.

Cost varies greatly - but so does the quality.  Last I checked, prices could run up to $25 an inch depending on who you prefer to do your fish.

Wow ! What a brown Trout!  if possible i would do what gander lander said. You got good pics and measurements, now ya have time to look for a fish artist and save up some dough. Great fish!

Not sure, my best weighed fish in each species is as follows:

King 38 lbs

Coho 18 lbs

Brown 18 lbs

Steelhead 19 lbs

Laker 24 lbs

Atlantic 14.5 lbs

and none have made it to the wall so far. 

Not sure I would put a fish on the wall anymore than I'd put a deer head on the wall. 

The closest I ever came was the Atlantic and a gorgeous 15 lb male brown I caught at the dirty Burt years ago on my 8' 6 wt, stream trout fly rod, but in the end, both went back in the water.

Tim