Downrigger weights

What are you guys running for downrigger weights? I just picked up a set of Cannon Mag 10's and I need to get some weights. I'm looking for recommendations for size and type.

I used to run unitroll 10's with 8 lb cannon ball weights, I got fed up with them two weekends ago when we were out there fishing 160' down.

I've been dragging 8# balls also......but after a Lake-O trip two weekends ago I had to buy two new 13#er's shaped like a fish at a local tackle shop

They tracked great after we figured out to slightly bend the aluminum tail for a left/right track but they are painfully slow at retrieving with my Mag10's

It sure was spooky running those bad boys down to the end of the 200' of cable

Anything 12 pounds and up should work. The Best deal I could find was on eBay for 15 pound weights. ( just search 15 lb downrigger weights) They were 2 for $50 or 4 for 100. At 25 per ball you can't beat that. They should go nicely on your cannons which have a 20 lb capacity. We used to use 8 pounders on lake erie too but anything over 60 down has a ridiculous amount of blowback.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 7 months later...

I run 12# balls on my Cannon Unitroll STX 10 manual riggers.  Work great on Ontario and Erie.  My buddy has a mould  to make them.  We smelt down automobile wheel weights and make our own.  Coat them in bed liner.

I went from starting out with 10# then went 12# and for this year I have 15#, fished deep often last summer (100' to 150' down) and the blow back was terrible. I would spend the extra money on torpedo weights or sharks if you can afford them, ball weights don't cut the water like torpedoes therefor you get more blow back with ball weights. Good luck.   

You should really try the 15# A-TOM-MIK torpedos. They track great and are reasonably priced. Most East end shops carry them and I think you can order from A-TOM-MIK' website.

AGREE - :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

I never understood why people think pancake weights blow back less than other weights.

Now I haven't ever run one, so maybe I am missing something, but from a simple standpoint of hydrodynamic efficiency the more efficient weight (among two weights of equal mass) should be the one that displaces the least water while being pulled through it.

Comparing the profile of a pancake shaped weight vs a torpedo shaped weight of equal mass, the torpedo weight is twice as long, therefore it has less frontal (and rear) surface area than a pancake weight. All other factors being equal, this means it must be more hydrodynamically efficient, and as long as it tracks straight without wandering, the torpedo should have less blow back than other shapes.

Thinking of it this way, imagine you had two pieces of waterlogged neutrally-buoyant driftwood, each weighing 10lb. One was shaped like a round firewood log, 18" long and 6" across and the other was shaped like a 6' long spear that was 2" across. Which one could you throw further underwater? I know I could throw the long thin spear further.

Now if you're comparing a pancake weight that is longer and of equal mass to a spherical cannonball, that makes some sense, but not versus a torpedo shape.

Edited by John E Powell

I've used 8, 10 and 12.  There is a stupid amount of blowback on 8's going at 2.5 mph.  10's are better, but still got some blowback. It kind of starts settling down with 12's and up. After one of my mates got his downrigger cable tangled in his kicker prop, this became a big deal.

So, I'm convinced using less than 12 is asking for trouble.

John E - You're on the right track but mass plays a great part when talking about throwing something and a much smaller part when towing a fishing weight in the water.  Shape is the major key for a rigg'r weight.  As you said it's the force of the water pushing against a smaller surface area that really determines the blowback.  If you sharpen the front of the pancake it'll have less blowback.  However standard pancakes have more blowback than standard torpedo shaped.  Interestingly, NAVY torpedoes do not have pointed noses and the "bulb" they build on ships are round.  However these lessen the drag along their sides which of course is quite substantial given their sizes compared to the front on resistance in the water.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Yes it all makes sense. And yes, my 8lb ball weights fishing last summer for kings down over 100 feet were showing crazy blowback. I might just suck it up and buy two 12 lb sharks

Started with 8 pound balls on my Unitrol 6's. Went to 10 balls. Still crazy blowback...(45 degrees on the wires sometimes). Troutman supplied me with 2 12#

torpedo's this spring (excellent work by the way) which is all the Uni 6's can handle according to specs.

Very interested to see how they do. Going to guess blowback is decently reduced to the point I may get to see my weights on my FF, especially if I

tilt it back a click or two....

Started with 8 pound balls on my Unitrol 6's. Went to 10 balls. Still crazy blowback...(45 degrees on the wires sometimes). Troutman supplied me with 2 12#

torpedo's this spring (excellent work by the way) which is all the Uni 6's can handle according to specs.

Very interested to see how they do. Going to guess blowback is decently reduced to the point I may get to see my weights on my FF, especially if I

tilt it back a click or two....

In all the literature I read on the Uni-Trolls it states up to a 20 lbs. weight.

Here is one of the documents I read through.

http://www.cannondownriggers.com/uploadedFiles/Service/Product_Manuals/2013_Cannon_Downrigger_Specs.pdf

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks, but I emailed Cannon directly, and they sent me the owners PDF for the Unitrol 6's. Aluminum booms. Max weight 12 pounds.

Edited by JimB

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into the 13# yek fish weights. Anyone have an experience with these?

Edited by Adk1