ever clip on your dipsy

Im a lake erie guy and we often attach a red off shore clip to a large split ring then to the dipsy release. In the clear waters off geneva / ashtabula we will let the lure out 20 feet and then just clip on the set dipsy with a wrap behind the pin in the pad. The dipsy works just the same. Fish on reel to dipsy, take it off like you would a board and reel to fish. Works great. Actually think it dives a hair deeper because there is not a lure pulling so close behind it.............So question is, anyone here do this? on wire i would not think so but braid works great.

Im a lake erie guy and we often attach a red off shore clip to a large split ring then to the dipsy release. In the clear waters off geneva / ashtabula we will let the lure out 20 feet and then just clip on the set dipsy with a wrap behind the pin in the pad. The dipsy works just the same. Fish on reel to dipsy, take it off like you would a board and reel to fish. Works great. Actually think it dives a hair deeper because there is not a lure pulling so close behind it.............So question is, anyone here do this? on wire i would not think so but braid works great.

No, but I sometimes use a Big Jon jettison release and large split ring to turn a dipsy into a slide diver and get a similar effect. This setup will trip so you don't have to bring in an untripped dipsy.

Any pic or drawing of this setup ?  Thanks

Yeah, I was just going to say that slide divers are specifically designed to do what you want to do.  The slide diver lite bites are super for fishing walleyes, they have 2 releases on them, the front one like a regular diver that you can set pretty tight so it isn't tripping all the time, and a rear wire arm that can be set so light that even a perch will trip it.

http://www.slidediver.com/

The only downside to slide divers is they line runs through them, so they are permanently attached to the diver rod.  I know some people that even use them very successfully on wire divers for kings.  attach a small spro power swivel to the wire and tie on a 20' leader of 30 lb mono that the slide diver runs on, but you can really make the leader any length you like for walleye fishing, or just run em on mono or braid divers.

Tim

Best part about this set up is it is not attached all the time like a slid diver. Put a red off shore clip on the trip and just attach it. It works just the same as always then u un clip it when fish is on. Try it out, you will be amazed. also you can store and run with dipsy rods without having to wrap up a dipsy as not to tangle. Can break down rods whatever. All u need is a leader tied on to the braid. no more swingging dipsys.

There may be a way to do this with wire. Im not used to wire so i dont reallg know. Dont know the wire yet. The ins n outs, the dos and donts. But im thinking. Any lead length you like or the fish prefer is nice. Like set backs off the rigger. Let the fish tell ya what they like rather than a fixed length. Anyone think it could work with wire? Im telling you it works the same clipping it on as run in-line like usual.

Did it this weekend trolling for walleyes. I was using my wire rods. The OR 16clip ended up sliding down the wire to the swivel. I don't know if it was sliding while trolling or when reeling it in. I ended up catching one 12" smallmouth. Tried it before with braid and used the loop in the line so it holds. Works great on mono. I didn't dare loop the wire.