What to use for protection against black bears?

Kuba

Last year while camping in a tent up north we almost got eaten by a bear with two cubs. same year I said that's it.for camping by myself with a 3 year old in a tent. I will be going there this Friday, what should I take for my protection? I'm not trigger happy and don't hunt. Just shooting cans. If I could avoid shooting one, I would take that route-but safety first.

options are:

Mossberg 30-06 bolt mag cap 5

Remmington 870, long barrel pump slugs

SKS 7.62x39 semi 5 mag cap FMJ

Ruger 10-22LR for mosquitoes; )

don't really want to get into a debate, ballistics, shape, powder amount etc....

Pick one.

Throw the bear a thick juicy steak injected with Jim Beam Black. Make a friend!....then the 870 if it tries to drink all your whiskey

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those 870 sabots are expensive, keep food in truck,don't sleep with chlothes on that you cooked in. long range bear mace, Than 870!

Trade them all in toward a Barrett 50 cal. with ballistic ammo beforehand :lol: Considering the fact that you are probably talking a short range situation since you aren't looking to get into it with them or hunting (you didn't mention if it was a 12 gauge but I'm assuming) the 870 with slugs. The rifles at close range would probably have great penetration but could go straight through without a large wound cavity....the slug because of its shape and weight at close range would be devastating as long as it hits a vital area (the key to any of the choices). It is the choice of the wildlife police in Alaska and California for dealing with those "last resort" situations with blacks and grizzlies. If a pistol ..44 magnum is the usual choice of hunters as their backup weapon up there.

Edited by Sk8man

chanced are they are just afraid of you as you are of them  by a air horn  and keep  the shotgun as last line of defense the air horns are supper loud  and really pretty cheap and if you do not need it  you can use it on the lake to get them other idiots attentions 

Don't have an answer for your which gun question but I went to Alaska for fishing class and researched the heck out of this before I went. Decided to wait til I got up there to see what locals were doing. First part of my class was taught by a Fish and Game officer for wilderness safety. He said bear spray is the only way to go in his opinion. They have found bodies mauled with recently discharged guns next to them. He said the same has not been true for spray. Anyone except the most experienced marksmen who is used to shooting under pressure is going to struggle against a bear charging at 30 mph. We spooked a mom from a boat and I watched her go up a steep angled 20' bank at warp speed like it didnt exist....I am now convinced I could never aim and fire acurately if she was coming at me. He also said bear attacks rarely start with a standoff where you can prepare- they are almost always without warning.

Sorry this doesn't meet the "no debate" clause of your post. Just sharing some experience.

Edited by Just Fishin'

I did a bear hunt with bow over bait years ago in New Brunswick and our guide baited our stands with anise oil, molasses, barbecue sauce and bacon grease mixed in a coffee can. With apples and doughnuts on the ground, he used a propane torch to "boil molasses" as he put it, getting the smoke all over the tree branches the bait was on. Then he took 2 pkgs of raspberry jello and sprinkled them all over a log at the base of the tree. I'll never forget those 3 cubs licking up all that jello powder with purple tongues. I watched those 4 bear for 2 hours and couldn't shoot because of the cubs and when I told the guide later that night that I thought the sow was going to come up the tree I was in when she was sniffing around the base, he said, "you should have brought a can of pepper mace"

Spend 3 summers in Alaska over the past few years. Never went hiking or fishing in the backcountry without my 870. You want open sights tho for sure. Honestly tho I think a can or two of bear spray would do u just fine. I've spent alot of time around black bear and grizz and never felt threatened.

Well, I know that coolers are to be locked in cars etc...never thought of changing clothing;) but it makes great sense! Usually I would keep my "bbq" in a garbage bag in a tent. This year I'm taking my 26ft trailer. Just wanted to ask for opinions. I also have a big marine air horn.

Rule #1 NEVER keep anything "food like" in a tent (or anywhere you are going to sleep) or nearby you for that matter and don't leave food around anywhere. They can smell food for MILES not yards. Just Fishin's response is right on target too.

Edited by Sk8man

I pulled in my driveway yesterday and had a 400 pound boar standing underneath my deck staring at me. I tried to take a picture but it was interested so I suppose that's a good way to get rid of them . Take out your camera.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been running trips for people to Alaska for 20 years.  Been up there 18 times myself with people I've been taking.  I use a Mossberg 590 tatical 12GA.   I first load slug, 00 Buck, 00 Buck, Slug, 00 Buck, 00 Buck.  Any encounter requiring use of the shotgun would likely be from about less than 100' with the bear moving toward your "quickly".  The first round hopefully does its trick, other wise I want two follow up shots with multiple projectiles to slow it down and followed by slug again.  Just a personal preference.

Drachma