Yankee with another Tyeeeee and Skunked @ the Oak 8/22-8/25

August 22nd (Afternoon) / 23rd (Morning) - We had a new group out with us, and after the last few weeks we figured it was going to be another stellar weekend of fishing. We set up offshore around the 28N line on the afternoon trip, and went at it with a few fish right off the bat. Fishing wasn’t like it had been, but we still got some bites. 

Familiar Bite meat was good on our deep A-TOM-MIK coppers, and on our deep Cannon downriggers. A stud for us on both of these trips was a Green Legendary Smartfish/A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow fly. We fished this on a diver back 200-250’.

The following morning we gave it a try on the inside. It was good for four matures, but the bite died for us after that. We pulled the plug on that water and headed offshore where we easily finished up our limit on the 28N-29N lines. A mix of Salmon and Steel out there took mainly a flasher/fly program.

This group had a blast given the bumpy conditions they were faced with. I’m sure we’ll see them back!

IMG950415_zpsb4c7da08.jpg

August 22nd (Afternoon) / 23rd (Morning) - Joe got hooked on Lake Ontario last year, so he decided to make a few trips up here this year. He fished with us earlier in May on the Niagara Bar, but this time he brought some co-workers up from Pittsburgh to show them our great resource!

On the afternoon trip the inside waters were so hot it was boiling in there! A four man limit on matures in three hours, and a bonus domestic Rainbow thrown in on top of that. These guys went 13 for 13 on the sticks. Almost unheard of this time of year! A Stinger Magnum Yellow Tail on a 300 Copper was very consistent for us. Our Familiar Bite Meat rigs on our deepest Cannons was good as well as the Green Smartfish/A-TOM-MIK Ultra Glow Green, 

The following morning we were excited to get back out there. We set up in the same inside waters as the night before, and had rods going almost instantly. Our best depths were 70-85’ a few clicks West of port.

It wasn’t nearly as good of a bite as the night before, but we took 15 shots throughout the whole trip. However, we had some solid fish in our catch. We broke the 30lb mark again this year with a 30.8lb brute that took a Green dot Stinger E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow fly. We had a 28lb fish that took a Dreamweaver Lucky Charm Cut Plug on our 10 color. That plug was our hot bait of the morning on a 10 color and a 200 A-TOM-MIK Copper. Other baits were one and done. 

IMG_20130824_090948_zps5f1f58d0.jpg

IMG_20130824_131144_zps4086a7e8.jpg

August 24th (Afternoon) / 25th (Morning) - We had another new group with us. Total newbies, so we were excited to get out on the afternoon trip seeing how HOT the afternoon was a day prior. Well, we zigged when we should have zagged! We went out and fished the same inside waters from the morning only to end with our very first SKUNK! No hits, no runs, no errors! God, that was a tough pill to swallow, but the few left in there had lock jaw, so we had a nice boat ride and watched the sun set on the horizon. 

I was shocked when these guys showed up the next morning ready to go! I think they could sense the frustration we had the night before, and knew it would never happen again! We gave the inside one last shot for about two hours in the morning before we pulled the plug and headed North the the 28N line.

We didn’t get all the rods in the water when both Familiar Bite meat rigs on our Cannon out and downs fired with mature Salmon. One was at 75’ down and the other was at 100’ down. The bite went on from there, and we boated some nice Steelies, and a few more Kings for these guys. Our A-TOM-MIK copper took over when the riggers stopped firing. A 300 was going good with a Dreamweaver Green dot Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Ultra Green Glow, and the 400 was going with a White Dreamweaver Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK White Halo.

IMG_20130825_114701_zps73e09ef8.jpg

IMG_20130825_075624_zps50884c90.jpg

August 25th (Afternoon) - I figured this would be a fun trip! Just a father and son from Jersey. They saw pics from a friends trip, and booked with us right away. We ran out to the 27N line and set rods. We didn’t get all of the rods in and our Familiar Bite on our 100’ Cannon downrigger fired with a mature. The battle was on! 

We got that fish to the boat, and then it turned into a slow pick. A fish about every 45 minutes. The next two fish would come on a Diver out 300’ pulling a Stinger E-Chip Hammertime/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hijacker fly. Our last hit of the night was a short strike on a 500’ A-TOM-MIK copper pulling a Familiar Bite meat rig. These guys are hooked for sure!

IMG_20130825_192240_zpsbdbf86df.jpg

Wow! The color differences in the salmon this season is something! Specialy the last pic. Seems we have two classes of pre stage fish, offshore and inshore, with the latter being just the checking kind. Definitely a toss up on which to play!..nice work Rick!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you for the great post. It has been a great pleasure reading your reports along with the fantastic photos.

When you mentioned 13 for 13 sticks, did you mean the stickbaits? I recalled catching the kings on a J-11 floating rapala during September. How did you set them up and how far back?

Keep up with the excellent work on the Big O.

Thanks for being honest about the skunk, Rick! Goes to show that it can even happen to the best of them!

Thanks! I don't BS. I tell it how it is. Am I embarrassed about it? Absolutely!

I am going to get a Skunk picture and put it in the Ghost Buster's logo. It's going in the back of the boat to remind me to never let it happen again! LOL

Saturday night was tough, one fish and your a hero, no fish a zero!

Had our first skunk in a very long time... Years......... Shouldn't happen this time of year, but each year there is lock-jaw event like this.

That NE wind changed the water too quickly for the fish to resume feeding activity, quite sure it was a poikilothermic response.

Rick,

Great reports and pictures as always.

Congrats again on another Tyee!  I feel there will be another one hitting the deck on the YT this weekend- just make it a 37 will ya!

Rick,

Great reports and pictures as always.

Congrats again on another Tyee!  I feel there will be another one hitting the deck on the YT this weekend- just make it a 37 will ya!

Yank, fantastic post as always, sorry about the polecat. Best info, avalable! thanx