Totally Hooked Olcott 8/27 afternoon

Headed out and set up in 80 fow east of the harbor with my dad, son and wife. Lines were in at 5:00 and that was the last I would have to touch them until 6:10 when the mixed veggie on the 40' rigger goes. Looked like about a 15 lb king, he decided to release himself via the rigger cable. Slid out to about 110' to 140' and managed four more in less than an hour. Three of them on spin doctor / flies back 150' to 210'. Then we ended up catching what I think was my favorite fish of the year, a little 6" king. My wife wanted a picture in the worst way but the little rascal slid right of my hand and back in the water. Are those the pen fish from this spring? I love seeing future screamers.

post-151112-13776526808583_thumb.jpg

post-151112-13776526949513_thumb.jpg

post-151112-13776527080605_thumb.jpg

Edited by Totally Hooked

Pen fish should be bigger. That was probably a wild one, they smolt out of the salmon river much later than the hatchery fish are penned/released and are much smaller starting out than their hatchey cousins so it takes them a while to catch up.

You definitely want to get yourself a wire setup, get a dipsey rods, install some twili tips and get a Diawa 47 or similar real (convector 30 or Tekota 600 same size) and load it up with 1000 ft spool of 30lb wire. Learn the Lotsa wire line knot http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm and you'll be good to go, wrap your spool with either electrical tape or some mono prior to spooling and keep it tight. Wire divers are the bread and butter program that you should absolutely run. They saw off the fleas and catch fish, IMO a must have. 

Well I have all the above... minus the wire ... will have wire on by Sat.. just got my boat in January this is my first time trolling.. got skunked last Sunday ran over fish n bait but shudda marked them and kept running through at different angles

Sent from my Torque using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well I have all the above... minus the wire ... will have wire on by Sat.. just got my boat in January this is my first time trolling.. got skunked last Sunday ran over fish n bait but shudda marked them and kept running through at different angles

Don't forget the TWILLYTIP

U fishing this w end? Not sure what depths to start out in... marked lots of FISH in the 75 _90fow but no takers.. moved to deeper water trolling for steelhead but had couple pop's and one good fight for a bit on dipsy at 105out in 350fow did a nice jump n spit the hook.. hoping to hit a salmon or get at least a FISH to the boat this x... LoL.. not like stream fishing is it :lol:

I would pound that inside, it can be tough but those inside fish will go no matter what you just have to wait them out and work em hard. Don't be afraid to put the speed to em, I've had some great bites at 3.0 at the ball you have to tick em off a little bit. I do better working the inside with spin docs and fly's for whatever reason.