Jigging Seneca north 8/28/13

Like new@this wrote recently there have not been many jigging reports it seems this year. I for one have not had a lot to brag about, especially in June and early July. Doing better since mid-July but not too many trips because of a weeks fishing vacation in Quebec earlier this month. Anyways, 3 of us did get out to the north end of Seneca yesterday. Bite was slow but did end up with 10 lake trout including a 32 incher. One of the fellows with me had never caught a lake trout so he was pretty pumped. Caught fish in a lot of depths from 75 to 130 fow. Charteuse paddletail seemed to be what they wanted. At one stop all three of us had hard hits probably within a 2 minute time period. 2 of us lost the tail off our jigs. We thought jokingly that maybe that trout liked the taste of the paddletail so much he hit all 3 of us. Of course he must have had a serious case of indigestion last night if he actually swallowed the tail.

Missing Hermit's jigging reports. Think he had other priorities this summer.

Al,

Glad you have been getting out.  I have been jigging lakers on Lake Ontario this summer.  have you seen any of my reports?  In a way it is easier than fishing the fingers, but with a much bigger chance of getting blown off the water.  The fish are huge!

Lakers LOVE to eat plastics.  Here are the stomach contents of a 20 inch laker that I had caught through the ice on Canadice Lake on a shiner.  At first, I thought that she had a stomach full of smelt.  When I cut it open, I found these Senko's in the stomach.  Otherwise, healthy looking fish, but the senkos were taking up the entire stomach.   I am thinking that she picked them off the bottom.

Here is a pic of the senkos that were removed with a ruler for size reference

ivh2y8.jpg

Hi Pete - Gosh, no. I have not seen your jigging reports. Never check LO report, just Finger Lakes. Where do you report? LO (south) maybe? Do you know when your last jigging report was(date)? Like to check it out. - Al

Hi Huntyraws. That is very interesting. Finding senkos in LT. Makes me feel better knowing they can survive (for a while anyways) with plastics in their stomach.