Please explain this technique and how and why it works?

Thanks for the help

Mup I guess stands for mommy and hurry up. Basically mommy baitfish is out front and jr is trailing behind trying to keep up. Depending on the time of the year, this could be a large/medium combo or a medium/small combo on a rigger. The baits are placed in relative close proximity to each other with the larger bait forward and the smaller bait trailing. On a single rod, the smaller lure would go on the mainline say 10' behind the ball, and the larger bait would go on a fixed stacker a few feet above and forward (due to shorter stacker leader length) of the mainline bait.

You can get a similar effect further back using two rods.

If you picture mommy duck swimming with the baby ducks trailing close behind, you can get a visual image of the concept. Every once in a while, a pike or musky might snatch a trailing baby duck. Same concept here...

Mup I guess stands for mommy and hurry up. Basically mommy baitfish is out front and jr is trailing behind trying to keep up. Depending on the time of the year, this could be a large/medium combo or a medium/small combo on a rigger. The baits are placed in relative close proximity to each other with the larger bait forward and the smaller bait trailing. On a single rod, the smaller lure would go on the mainline say 10' behind the ball, and the larger bait would go on a fixed stacker a few feet above and forward (due to shorter stacker leader length) of the mainline bait.

You can get a similar effect further back using two rods.

If you picture mommy duck swimming with the baby ducks trailing close behind, you can get a visual image of the concept. Every once in a while, a pike or musky might snatch a trailing baby duck. Same concept here...

You can't be serious? Mommy and Baby ducks? That response could have been on one of those AT&T improv commercials with the kids!  :rofl:

To the original poster On The Lamb hit it on the head.

We also call people from Pennsylvania Mupps! Lots of them around this time of year. We got that from them saying "Mup here from .........."  :rofl:

Edited by Yankee Troller

We also call people from Pennsylvania Mupps! 

Rick what happened to PA "Hucklebucks"   Over the rail, in the pail.... or  Forget the ruler... put it in the cooler!!  LOL

(Disclaimer)  some of my best friends are from PA.    :lol:

Edited by on the lam

I've been fishing lake o for 25 years anf I'm from pennsylvania. When I talk to somebody at the marina I just assume they are from PA, because most of them are. In our marina (arneys) most of the boats that actually get used are from other pennsylvanians and the ones that never leave the slips are usually very local. Granted there are quite a few new yorkers with boats that fish but most of the ski/tube/leisure boats that have ny registration only run memorial weekend, 4th of july, and labor day weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app